From: e p chandler on

"rfengineer55" <rfengineer55(a)aol.com> wrote in message
On Jun 12, 11:33 am, mecej4 <mecej4.nyets...(a)operamail.com> wrote:

> ftp://ftp.fcc.gov/pub/Bureaus/MB/Databases/formatted/amdiction.txt
>
> which also contains this notice
>
> " The FCC has redesigned and restructured the AM Engineering Data Base.
> It has been converted to a relational data base. This change will take
> place on or about May 1, 1997."

Yes, that is very old information. The VAX 11/780 computer is also
long gone, which is the platform that these programs ran on. The
current software is by V-soft, which sels for about $20,000.00 for a
package.

There is also information o the FCC FTP site about their current data
layout and location of data fields, etc

----> Excuse me for making a short comment on a longer post. The main point
here is that the program posted here in this newsgroup is essentially for a
database and database format that no longer exist.

So the main program logic needs to be re-done because the data file is now a
flat file (probably extracted from a database). The locations of data
fields, reports may also have to be re-done.

But the implied description of what the fields are and how they are used in
calculations are still quite valuable.

--- Elliot

From: e p chandler on

"Erik Toussaint" <user(a)example.net.invalid> wrote in message
> On 12-6-2010 15:21, e p chandler wrote:
>>
>> "mecej4" <mecej4.nyetspam(a)operamail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Elliot, please post the file AMKEYS.INC if you have it and it is not too
>>> long. I am asking you since the OP seems to operate mostly in a
>>> WRITEONLY
>>> mode as far as C.L.F. postings are concerned. He may have posted the
>>> file,
>>> but there are now dozens of highly disorganized threads that he
>>> originated
>>> and I have not seen the file yet.
>>>
>>> -- mecej4
>>
>> I don't have that file. I just substituted an empty file for AMKEYS.INC.
>
> I googled the domain fcc.gov for the keyword fortran and found the
> following page:
>
> http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/software/vaxcode/
>
> It has a link to a zip file containing the old source files with VAX
> FORTRAN code formerly used by the FCC. (The file size is actually 7.7
> _MB_, not 7.8 _kB_ as stated on that page.)
>
> If I'm not mistaken, the OP is trying to compile the code in the directory
> /allo inside this zip file. It also has the AMKEYS.INC file, which
> contains no declarations or executable statements, only comments
> describing the keys used in the AMDB.DAT database.
>
> Erik.

Thank you. I'll take a look later. [Dinner calls]

--- Elliot

From: rfengineer55 on
On Jun 12, 5:59 pm, "e p chandler" <e...(a)juno.com> wrote:
> "rfengineer55" <rfenginee...(a)aol.com> wrote in message

> >ftp://ftp.fcc.gov/pub/Bureaus/MB/Databases/formatted/amdiction.txt
>
> > which also contains this notice
>
> > " The FCC has redesigned and restructured the AM Engineering Data Base.
> > It has been converted to a relational data base. This change will take
> > place on or about May 1, 1997."
>
> Yes, that is very old information. The VAX 11/780 computer is also
> long gone, which is the platform that these programs ran on. The
> current software is by V-soft, which sels for about $20,000.00 for a
> package.
>
> There is also information o the FCC FTP site about their current data
> layout and location of data fields, etc
>
> ----> Excuse me for making a short comment on a longer post. The main point
> here is that the program posted here in this newsgroup is essentially for a
> database and database format that no longer exist.
>
> So the main program logic needs to be re-done because the data file is now a
> flat file (probably extracted from a database). The locations of data
> fields, reports may also have to be re-done.
>
> But the implied description of what the fields are and how they are used in
> calculations are still quite valuable.
>
> --- Elliot- Hide quoted text -

Elliot,

Just for the sake of completeness, I'm only interested in getting AM
Dist working with the old AMDB.dat file I sent you. If you or the
other respondents here want to modify it for the new file fomat, that
is certainly fine, don't get me wrong. In fact, I thinkr that's
wonderful if you guys might want to continue the spirit of AMDIST.FOR
to read the new file format.

I only mentioned the new file format in an earlier post because it
looked like there was some budding interest in the fact that this file
of mine is old hat, and there is newer stuff out there. No intention
here on my part to complicate the original question.

Be advised that if you are simply interested in the contents of the
newest form of the AM database file that there are free database
readers available on the net. But if you are interested in exploring
the topic for the challenge of it, then that too, is very admirable :-)
From: e p chandler on
"Erik Toussaint" wrote
e p chandler wrote:
mecej4 wrote
>>> Elliot, please post the file AMKEYS.INC if you have it and it is not too
>>> long.
>> I don't have that file. I just substituted an empty file for AMKEYS.INC.
>
> I googled the domain fcc.gov for the keyword fortran and found the
> following page:
>
> http://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/software/vaxcode/
>
> It has a link to a zip file containing the old source files with VAX
> FORTRAN code formerly used by the FCC. (The file size is actually 7.7
> _MB_, not 7.8 _kB_ as stated on that page.)
>
> If I'm not mistaken, the OP is trying to compile the code in the directory
> /allo inside this zip file. It also has the AMKEYS.INC file, which
> contains no declarations or executable statements, only comments
> describing the keys used in the AMDB.DAT database.
>
> Erik.

The information in AMKEYS.INC is exteremely relevant to understanding how
the ISAM program works.
The third key is composed of frequency // degrees_latitude + 90 //
degrees_longitude + 180.
In the version of AMDB.DAT supplied to me (the flat file) the last two
fields (chars 594:600) are almost always blank spaces but the original
latitude and longitude data is still there. Oh well, back to the program
listing.....

Thanks!

Elliot

From: Ken Fairfield on
On Jun 11, 7:30 pm, rfengineer55 <rfenginee...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My compiler is giving me the following error -
>
> Error   1        error #7198: Indexed IO is a VMS only feature.
>
> When the compiler hits the following line of code -----
>
> read (amdb,810,keyid=3,keyge=amkey,err=150,iostat=iostat) amrec
>
> The compiler is Intel Visual Fortran, The source code is VAX VMS
> Fortran that came from the FCC in Washington, DC.   The compiler is
> set up for VMS compatibility, but I still get this error.
>
> I really don't want to bring the code up any farther than Fortran 77
> compliant.
>
> Apparently just setting the compiler to VMS compatibility is not
> enough to dodge this error. What else is required?
>
> RF ENGINEER55 Jeff

One last try.

I posted at least two responses concerning
the RMS indexed files on VMS, but they seem
not to have been noticed/read.

I can see my posts, but perhaps they're being
blocked on the way out of Google Groups? A bit
frustrating to have taken the time to compose
multiple responses for naught, but whatever...

Over and out, Ken