From: Richard Maine on
Ken Fairfield <ken.fairfield(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I posted at least two responses concerning
> the RMS indexed files on VMS, but they seem
> not to have been noticed/read.
>
> I can see my posts, but perhaps they're being
> blocked on the way out of Google Groups? A bit
> frustrating to have taken the time to compose
> multiple responses for naught, but whatever...

For what little it is worth...

I did see your posts on that (and a few other things) about 3 days ago.
They seemed cogent enough and I didn't have anything in particular to
add to or comment about them, so I didn't reply. Of course, I'm not who
they were meant for.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: Ken Fairfield on
On Jun 14, 10:01 am, nos...(a)see.signature (Richard Maine) wrote:
[...]
> For what little it is worth...
>
> I did see your posts on that (and a few other things) about 3 days ago.
> They seemed cogent enough and I didn't have anything in particular to
> add to or comment about them, so I didn't reply. Of course, I'm not who
> they were meant for.

Thanks for that, Richard. :-) -Ken
From: mecej4 on
On 6/14/2010 11:29 AM, Ken Fairfield wrote:
> On Jun 11, 7:30 pm, rfengineer55<rfenginee...(a)aol.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> My compiler is giving me the following error -
>>
>> Error 1 error #7198: Indexed IO is a VMS only feature.
>>
>> When the compiler hits the following line of code -----
>>
>> read (amdb,810,keyid=3,keyge=amkey,err=150,iostat=iostat) amrec
>>
>> The compiler is Intel Visual Fortran, The source code is VAX VMS
>> Fortran that came from the FCC in Washington, DC. The compiler is
>> set up for VMS compatibility, but I still get this error.
>>
>> I really don't want to bring the code up any farther than Fortran 77
>> compliant.
>>
>> Apparently just setting the compiler to VMS compatibility is not
>> enough to dodge this error. What else is required?
>>
>> RF ENGINEER55 Jeff
>
> One last try.
>
> I posted at least two responses concerning
> the RMS indexed files on VMS, but they seem
> not to have been noticed/read.
>
> I can see my posts, but perhaps they're being
> blocked on the way out of Google Groups? A bit
> frustrating to have taken the time to compose
> multiple responses for naught, but whatever...
>
> Over and out, Ken

Ken,

I decided upon 'over and out' much earlier than you did. I have seen
your posts with detailed recommendations; their not being seen is not
the obstacle here.

A mentor told me decades ago that there exist a small number of people
who adamantly want to remain unhappy and disgruntled, and that it was
wise to avoid the temptation of attempting to help them out of their
predicament. I recognized the present instance of that type quite quickly.

-- mecej4
From: dpb on
Ken Fairfield wrote:
> On Jun 14, 10:01 am, nos...(a)see.signature (Richard Maine) wrote:
> [...]
>> For what little it is worth...
>>
>> I did see your posts on that (and a few other things) about 3 days ago.
>> They seemed cogent enough and I didn't have anything in particular to
>> add to or comment about them, so I didn't reply. Of course, I'm not who
>> they were meant for.
>
> Thanks for that, Richard. :-) -Ken

And ditto here...they, in fact, were the postings I referred to in
noting that specific advice for the topic had already been posted...