From: Colon Terminus on
I have a still sweet running VP-6 but it is in need of more disk space.
Does anyone know if the VP-6 supports large hard disks and if so at what
BIOS level?

Thanks.

From: Dirk Dreidoppel on
"Colon Terminus" <Colon_Terminus(a)hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I have a still sweet running VP-6 but it is in need of more disk space.
> Does anyone know if the VP-6 supports large hard disks and if so at what
> BIOS level?
>
> Thanks.

How large are we talking ? I had 2x 40 GB running with it, until recently I
needed more space and added 2x80 GB on the second RAID Channel. No problems
there and 240 GB total is good and well for the time being. BIOS is latest,
modded with a version 2.35 HPT RAID BIOS. As long as your case has mounting
space for lots of HDs, you won't run out of space too fast with a maximum of
8 IDE devices.

From: Bird Janitor� on
Dirk Dreidoppel wrote:

| How large are we talking ? I had 2x 40 GB running with it, until recently
| I needed more space and added 2x80 GB on the second RAID Channel.
| No problems there and 240 GB total is good and well for the time being.
| BIOS is latest, modded with a version 2.35 HPT RAID BIOS. As long as
| your case has mounting space for lots of HDs, you won't run out of space
| too fast with a maximum of 8 IDE devices.

Assuming an OS that supports 48-bit LBA (Windows XP SP1 or later or Windows
2000 SP4 or later), the Highpoint 370 version 2.351 BIOS and mating drivers
will happily do disks larger than 128GB on each channel.

I've modded the old KT7-RAID/KT7A-RAID BIOS' to embed this BIOS.

I've put my modded BIOS' on a page for KT7/KT7A users, along with links to
Highpoint and instructions on how to mod other BIOS' with the embedded
Highpoint 370/372 controller.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/kt7.html

Jef

From: Dirk Dreidoppel on
"Bird Janitor�" <birdjanitor_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_(a)sbcglobal.net> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:j5UIi.6274$FO2.2809(a)newssvr14.news.prodigy.net...
> Dirk Dreidoppel wrote:
> |
> | How large are we talking ? I had 2x 40 GB running with it, until
recently
> | I needed more space and added 2x80 GB on the second RAID Channel.
> | No problems there and 240 GB total is good and well for the time being.
> | BIOS is latest, modded with a version 2.35 HPT RAID BIOS. As long as
> | your case has mounting space for lots of HDs, you won't run out of space
> | too fast with a maximum of 8 IDE devices.
> |

> Assuming an OS that supports 48-bit LBA (Windows XP SP1 or later or
Windows
> 2000 SP4 or later), the Highpoint 370 version 2.351 BIOS and mating
drivers
> will happily do disks larger than 128GB on each channel.
>
> I've modded the old KT7-RAID/KT7A-RAID BIOS' to embed this BIOS.
>
> I've put my modded BIOS' on a page for KT7/KT7A users, along with links to
> Highpoint and instructions on how to mod other BIOS' with the embedded
> Highpoint 370/372 controller.
>
> http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/kt7.html
>
> Jef

Nice to know :)
Good old www.vp6board.com used to have the newest BIOS modded at all times,
but it's long since gone.

From: Colon Terminus on

"Bird Janitor�" <birdjanitor_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message news:j5UIi.6274$FO2.2809(a)newssvr14.news.prodigy.net...
> Dirk Dreidoppel wrote:
> |
> | How large are we talking ? I had 2x 40 GB running with it, until
recently
> | I needed more space and added 2x80 GB on the second RAID Channel.
> | No problems there and 240 GB total is good and well for the time being.
> | BIOS is latest, modded with a version 2.35 HPT RAID BIOS. As long as
> | your case has mounting space for lots of HDs, you won't run out of space
> | too fast with a maximum of 8 IDE devices.
> |

> Assuming an OS that supports 48-bit LBA (Windows XP SP1 or later or
Windows
> 2000 SP4 or later), the Highpoint 370 version 2.351 BIOS and mating
drivers
> will happily do disks larger than 128GB on each channel.
>
> I've modded the old KT7-RAID/KT7A-RAID BIOS' to embed this BIOS.
>
> I've put my modded BIOS' on a page for KT7/KT7A users, along with links to
> Highpoint and instructions on how to mod other BIOS' with the embedded
> Highpoint 370/372 controller.
>
> http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/kt7.html
>
> Jef

Thanks, Jef, for the information.
I'll go looking for a BIOS upgrade as I'm still running the original BIOS
(1.3b I think).
I'll check if TomG still has his FTP site up and running.

Again, thanks. Your response was exactly what I was looking for. Concise and
directly applicable to the original query.