From: Jeff V. Pulver on
Dear All:

When I add a new system and open a VMC file created by Virtual Server 2005
R2 I receive message, "The hardware standard (Virtual Server 2005) for
virtual machine <"test system"> is not recognized." The system appears to
work. Will there be any harm in not defining the system from scratch?

Also, see a separate post about converting a VHD file.

Thank you.

:-) Cheers,

Jeff V. Pulver

From: Steve Jain on
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:40:15 -0500, "Jeff V. Pulver"
<pulver(a)intercomp-design.com> wrote:

>Dear All:
>
>When I add a new system and open a VMC file created by Virtual Server 2005
>R2 I receive message, "The hardware standard (Virtual Server 2005) for
>virtual machine <"test system"> is not recognized." The system appears to
>work. Will there be any harm in not defining the system from scratch?
>
>Also, see a separate post about converting a VHD file.
>
>Thank you.
>
>:-) Cheers,
>
>Jeff V. Pulver

There are differences between the hardware emulated in VS and VPC.
Notably, VS has a SCSI controller and VPC does not and VPC has a sound
card and VS does not.

If you had a SCSI controller enabled on your VS VM, that's the likely
cause.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
From: Vinod Atal [MSFT] on
This is because in VS you can iSCSI which is not supported by VPC. Hence we
VPC detects that this image is from VS, we flash the warning message.
For a normal VM, there should not be any issue.

--
"This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties, and confers no
rights. You assume all risk for your use."

From: Jeff V. Pulver on
Dear Mr. Atal:

Thank you for the explanation of the warning message for a VHD coming from a
VS 2005 R2 system. Fortunately I do not have any iSCSI.

:-) Cheers,

Jeff