From: David Webber on
In my 'solution' I currently have a number of DLLs and an EXE.

After building, two of my DLLs are not registering as up to date, and a
subsequent build links them again. Another three are fine.

As far as I can tell, my project dependencies are correct. I have also
checked the "Common properties: Framework and references" page of the
project properties dialogue, and it looks reasonable.

Can anyone tell me how VS 2010 marks projects as up to date, and therefore
what I may have wrong? I never had this problem in VS 2008.

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software

From: David Webber on
"David Webber" <dave(a)musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk> wrote in message

>.... I have also checked the "Common properties: Framework and
>references" page of the project properties dialogue, and it looks
>reasonable.

Aha, but there are some differences in different dependencies!

My directory set-up is

Solution
Debug
Release
ExecutableProject
Debug
Release
DLLProject1
Debug
Release
DLLProject2
Debug
Release

The output files - the actual .exe and .dll files - are directed to the
Debug and Release directories within the solution.

On the "Common properties: Framework and references" page the first three
fields are

Copy Local (This always seems to be 'true')
Copy Local Satellite Assemblies
Reference Assembly Output

These last two are different for different dependencies of different DLLs.
I don't understand the Help on these. What do they mean? Are they the
answer to my problem?

Dave

From: Mikel Luri on
I've had that happen to me in both VS2003 and VS2005. Actually, it built
the whole projects again, not just link them.
I'm not sure, but I think I solved it by cleaning the solution, and then
deleting all the VS-generated files, like *.pch, *.ncb, etc. that were
not deleted by cleaning.
HTH

El 01/06/2010 15:30, David Webber escribi�:

From: David Ching on
"David Webber" <dave(a)musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk> wrote in message
> After building, two of my DLLs are not registering as up to date, and a
> subsequent build links them again. Another three are fine.

This move to MSBuild is causing some issues. It works differently than
previous VC++. Go into Options | Projects and Solutions | Build and Run |
MSBuild Project Build Output Verbosity and crank it up. You should then get
diagnostic messages in the Output window about why rebuilds happen.

-- David

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
My students discovered that one of the assignment projects does not convert from
VS2003-VS02008 to VS2010; in fact, the dependency relationship breaks, and it fails to
build the DLL before building the executable. I have yet to examine this problem.
joe

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 14:30:48 +0100, "David Webber" <dave(a)musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
wrote:

>In my 'solution' I currently have a number of DLLs and an EXE.
>
>After building, two of my DLLs are not registering as up to date, and a
>subsequent build links them again. Another three are fine.
>
>As far as I can tell, my project dependencies are correct. I have also
>checked the "Common properties: Framework and references" page of the
>project properties dialogue, and it looks reasonable.
>
>Can anyone tell me how VS 2010 marks projects as up to date, and therefore
>what I may have wrong? I never had this problem in VS 2008.
>
>Dave
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com