From: Carl Woodward on
> Can anybody clarify?

One clarification coming up...

The C runtime library will work on NT, but MSVCR80.dll is not just a CRT. It
is a dll which contains the crt, but also has a bunch of extra code in
there, GetLongPathNameW being an import of this extra code. If you look at
the the static lib file, msvrt.lib, GetLongPathNameW is not imported. It is
for this reason that I speculated that using the static lib might work on
NT4.

It also worth noting that there are several crts. The web document you link
to does not specify which crt. I suspect that it means the crt in
msvcrt.dll. if you were to convince VS2005 to link to msvcrt.dll instead (as
VC6 will) then yes, the binary would definately work on NT4. This may not be
the case if you dynamically or statically link to the VC8 crt, it may
require features of the OS that aren't present on earlier platforms.

Hope that helped,

Carly