From: Tom Serface on
There is certainly vast improvement over 2005, but I don't think so much
over 2008 unless you need some of the new stuff. For C++ programmers that
is. If you use C++ and C# then certainly the new C# improvements in the IDE
will make it worth the cost of upgrade. If you use the MFC Feature Pack you
will like the new ribbon editor, but if you don't use it and static link you
will not like the overhead.

As usual, though, the IDE doesn't perform the same for C++ as it does for
C#. I know the reasons why, I just miss the C# stuff when I switch back and
forth (little things like the auto highlighting of variables, suggestion
mode for Intellisense, etc.)

Tom

From: Tom Serface on
If you are developing for Win7 there are some interesting new control
interfaces. I am intrigued by multitouch as well. I see that as becoming
more of a big deal all the time, especially in hand held devices. I think
the new task dialog is nice as well. There are a few MFC improvements.

The Navigate To functionality in the Edit menu is really nice.

I didn't notice any difference in compile times, and slightly bigger EXEs
for the same code in 2010 and, as mentioned several times here, lots larger
EXEs for static linking. .NET 4.0 has lots of great stuff, the WPF editor
is really nice (except I got it to crash a few times). I'm ready to switch
from WinForms to WPF though. Wow.

I think the new thread debugging improvements look nice too, but I haven't
gone there yet.

Tom