From: Jerry Coffin on
Those who don't particularly care for the VS2010 help system (that's
a euphemism for "are intelligent enough to recognize a complete piece
of garbage when it's shoved down their throats) may want to take a
look at H3Viewer, at:

http://mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com/viewer

While it's certainly not (even close to) perfect, it's LOT better
than what ships with VS 2010 (at least it has a table of contents,
index, and bookmarks).

--
Later,
Jerry.
From: Hector Santos on
Thanks Jerry.

--
HLS
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
One of the problems of NDA is that I actually have known about this for months but was not
allowed to say anything for fear of losing my MVP award status. Microsoft is very serious
about people who violate NDA. Yes, this is really a good replacement for the old help
system. We beat up the Microsoft people rather badly at the MVP Summit and this was shown
to us, but none of us were allowed to say anything until it was released.

Thanks for the pointer; I was not aware it had been released
joe

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:47:50 -0600, Jerry Coffin <jerryvcoffin(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Those who don't particularly care for the VS2010 help system (that's
>a euphemism for "are intelligent enough to recognize a complete piece
>of garbage when it's shoved down their throats) may want to take a
>look at H3Viewer, at:
>
>http://mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com/viewer
>
>While it's certainly not (even close to) perfect, it's LOT better
>than what ships with VS 2010 (at least it has a table of contents,
>index, and bookmarks).
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Liviu on
"Jerry Coffin" <jerryvcoffin(a)yahoo.com> wrote...
> Those who don't particularly care for the VS2010 help system (that's
> a euphemism for "are intelligent enough to recognize a complete piece
> of garbage when it's shoved down their throats) may want to take a
> look at H3Viewer, at:
>
> http://mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com/viewer
>
> While it's certainly not (even close to) perfect, it's LOT better
> than what ships with VS 2010 (at least it has a table of contents,
> index, and bookmarks).

....and, going by the screenshot, a "sync to TOC" whose wisdom
I thought was forever lost on post-v6 generations ;-)

Neat. Thanks for the pointer.

Somewhat related, any word on when the downloadable MSDN
Library will be updated? Seems still stuck at 2008 Sp1.

Liviu

From: Jerry Coffin on
In article <erHOj5E4KHA.1716(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, lab2k1(a)gmail.c0m
says...

[ ... ]

> Somewhat related, any word on when the downloadable MSDN
> Library will be updated? Seems still stuck at 2008 Sp1.

I doubt it will be. If you look through the instructions on the link
I posted, it shows how to get the "help library manager" to download
content.

This has (what at least should be) a major improvement: it allows you
to exclude content you don't want. For those of us doing primarily
desktop/server development, being able to exclude Windows CE docs is
*extremely* useful!

--
Later,
Jerry.