From: Gaetor on
Win XP SP2
All Disks Formatted NTFS

The volume shadow functionality which previously worked on this system now
fails with the error:

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:8004230f
Reverting to non-shadow copy backup mode.

Initially there was a problem with the COM+ System Application service which
would not start, but after following the steps regarding fixing this in MS
KB: 315296 it now starts without errors.

However the Volume shadow copy error remains.
MS KB article 283085 - describes a very closly related if not the same issue
relating to the failure of the Shadow Copy but offers no guidelines or
suggestions, I have been watching this article since January hoping for it to
be updated but this has not happened.

Looking around Google I found a list of .Dlls to re-register in such cases
and the following were registered succesfully:

regsvr32 ole32.dll
regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
Vssvc /Register
Regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
regsvr32 es.dll
regsvr32 stdprov.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll

However attempts to run the following give errors ...

regsvr32 /i swprv.dll returns the error "DLLInstall in swprv.dll
failed. Return Code was: 0x8000ffff"

regsvr32 VSSAPI.DLL returns the error VSSAPI.DLL was loaded, but the
DllRegister server entry point was not found. VSSAPI.DLL does not appear to
be a .DLL or .OCX file."

I replaced VSSAPI.DLL with a clean copy in case it had corrupted, but this
didn't change the error returned from regsvr32.

I am *very keen* to get the shadow copy service oprerational again, help
will be appreciated.

Thanks.
From: Touch Base on

Have you got both
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider and
Volume Shadow Copy services set to at least manual under Services. If Not Volume shadow copy will fail.

From: Gaetor on
yes both of those are set to manual. The Volume Shadow Copy service starts
sucessfully via the services control panel applet, but MS Software Shadow
Copy Provider service will not start, initial error message is 1053 - "did
not respond to start request in a timely manner" correponding event log entry
is "Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the MS Software Shadow Copy
Provider service to connect."

From: Gaetor on

"Gaetor" wrote:

> yes both of those are set to manual. The Volume Shadow Copy service starts
> sucessfully via the services control panel applet, but MS Software Shadow
> Copy Provider service will not start, initial error message is 1053 - "did
> not respond to start request in a timely manner" correponding event log entry
> is "Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the MS Software Shadow Copy
> Provider service to connect."

Also there is an event log entry when an attempt is made to backup which
reads:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy Provider
COM class with CLSID {65ee1dba-8ff4-4a58-ac1c-3470ee2f376a} [0x80040154].

From: Touch Base on

"Gaetor" <Gaetor(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF4FA92C-D2C3-4E1F-9FA8-3E96F5B73E34(a)microsoft.com...
| Win XP SP2
| All Disks Formatted NTFS
|
| The volume shadow functionality which previously worked on this system now
| fails with the error:
|
| Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:8004230f
| Reverting to non-shadow copy backup mode.
|
| Initially there was a problem with the COM+ System Application service which
| would not start, but after following the steps regarding fixing this in MS
| KB: 315296 it now starts without errors.
|
| However the Volume shadow copy error remains.
| MS KB article 283085 - describes a very closly related if not the same issue
| relating to the failure of the Shadow Copy but offers no guidelines or
| suggestions, I have been watching this article since January hoping for it to
| be updated but this has not happened.
|
| Looking around Google I found a list of .Dlls to re-register in such cases
| and the following were registered succesfully:
|
| regsvr32 ole32.dll
| regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
| Vssvc /Register
| Regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
| regsvr32 es.dll
| regsvr32 stdprov.dll
| regsvr32 msxml.dll
| regsvr32 msxml3.dll
|
| However attempts to run the following give errors ...
|
| regsvr32 /i swprv.dll returns the error "DLLInstall in swprv.dll
| failed. Return Code was: 0x8000ffff"
|
| regsvr32 VSSAPI.DLL returns the error VSSAPI.DLL was loaded, but the
| DllRegister server entry point was not found. VSSAPI.DLL does not appear to
| be a .DLL or .OCX file."
|
| I replaced VSSAPI.DLL with a clean copy in case it had corrupted, but this
| didn't change the error returned from regsvr32.
|
| I am *very keen* to get the shadow copy service oprerational again, help
| will be appreciated.
|
| Thanks.

Also make sure that Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Removable Storage is set to automatic.