From: Neil Rashbrook on
Sqllib error: OLEDB Error encountered calling IDBInitialize::Initialize.
hr = 0x80004005. SQLSTATE: 08001, Native Error: 17
Error state: 1, Severity: 16
Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Error message: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does
not exist or access denied.

So far I've tried:
Defragmenting all drives.
Verifying that the SBSMONITORING and SHAREPOINT database recovery models
are set to Simple.
Verifying that Directory Service Access auditing is disabled.
Disabling volume shadow copy on the drive with SQL Server 2000 installed.
Stopping SQL Server 2000.

Oddly, VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS doesn't list an MSDE writer.

Should I just uninstall SQL Server 2000 (we're not using it)?
Or does anyone have any better ideas? Thanks.
From: "Brandy Nee [MSFT]" on
Hello Neil,

Thank you for posting to the SBS Newsgroup.

I understand that you find event ID 6013 regarding VSS on your SBS Server.
If I have misunderstood your issue, please let me know.

May I know if you have SBS 2K3 SP1 on your SBS 2K3 Server? Please check if
you have installed following hotfixes, if no, I suggest that we install the
following VSS hotfixes, and then check if the issue will solve.

>> If you have not installed SBS 2K3 SP1 yet, for SBS 2003 SP0, please
install following two hotfixes:

833167 A Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) update package is available for
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=833167

887827 A Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) update-2 package is available
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887827

[NOTE]: Actually, hotfixes 833167 and 887827 are included in the Small
Business Server SP1, so I suggest that you install Small Business Server
SP1 if you have not installed it yet.

For detail instructions to install SBS 2003 SP1, please refer to the
following SBS 2003 SP1 download page.

[Note]: Please read and follow the instructions carefully to complete the
installation.

Downloading and Installing Windows Small Business Server 2003 Service Pack
1
http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/0/f/e0fee8ce-768d-41c0-8871-9bc48e0
b3fc3/ToDownLoadFilesandReadInstructions.htm

>> If you have already installed SBS 2K3 SP1, please install following
three hotfixes:

Update is available that fixes various Volume Shadow Copy Service issues in
Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891957

913648 A new Volume Shadow Copy Service update is now available that fixes
various Volume Shadow Copy Service problems in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;913648

915331 The backup process fails and a time-out error occurs in Volume
Shadow Copy Service writers
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;915331

[NOTE]: You need to call Microsoft Product Support Services via telephone
to install Hotfix 915331.

====================

If the issue persists after you install the hotfixes above, this kind of
problem may also occur when the writer cannot establish a SQL connection to
the instances of SQL Server. Please see following KB article for more
detail information:

919023 SQL Server 2005 connectivity and Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;919023

====================

If the issue persists, please help me to gather following information for
further research:

1. When did the issue occur? Did you have this issue before? If no, did you
make any changes on the SBS Server recently?
2. Have you applied SBS 2K3 SP1?
3. Please gather Backup Log:

1) The Backupxx.log files in the folder 'C:\Documents and Settings\SBS
Backup User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
NT\NTBackup\data'.

2) The Sbsbackuplog0x.log files which can be located under the folder
'%sbsprogramdir%\Support\Backup Logs'.

Please zip the backup logs as two attachments and send them to my mailbox
at v-branee(a)microsoft.com.

4. On the server, run "eventvwr" (without quotation marks), check whether
there are any errors. If yes, double click it, click the Copy button and
paste the full content to the Newsgroup.

Please take your time to install the hotfixes and test the issue. If you
have any updates, please do not hesitate to let me know. I am looking
forward to your reply!

Best regards,

Brandy Nee

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------

From: Neil Rashbrook on
Brandy Nee [MSFT] wrote:

>May I know if you have SBS 2K3 SP1 on your SBS 2K3 Server?

Yes.

>>>If you have already installed SBS 2K3 SP1, please install following three hotfixes:
>
>Update is available that fixes various Volume Shadow Copy Service issues in Windows Server 2003
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891957
>
>913648 A new Volume Shadow Copy Service update is now available that fixes various Volume Shadow Copy Service problems in Windows Server 2003
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;913648

(Which replaces 891957...)

>915331 The backup process fails and a time-out error occurs in Volume Shadow Copy Service writers
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;915331

KB Article is not Available
Which is a shame as the title at least looked relevant.

>If the issue persists after you install the hotfixes above, this kind of problem may also occur when the writer cannot establish a SQL connection to the instances of SQL Server. Please see following KB article for more detail information:

But I'm not actually trying to back up SQL Server, which is why I
suggested uninstalling it.

>1. When did the issue occur? Did you have this issue before? If no, did you make any changes on the SBS Server recently?
>2. Have you applied SBS 2K3 SP1?

The issue occurred after applying SP1, it appears that prior to SP1 we
backed up without using VSS.

>3. Please gather Backup Log:
>
>1) The Backupxx.log files in the folder 'C:\Documents and Settings\SBS Backup User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data'.

Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: DLT
Media name: "Media created 23/06/2006 at 02:35"

Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.
Timeout before function completed

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:0xffffffff.

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:ffffffff
Aborting Backup.

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

----------------------

>2) The Sbsbackuplog0x.log files which can be located under the folder '%sbsprogramdir%\Support\Backup Logs'.

Sorry, but we're not using the SBS backup.

--
Sorry for the delay; overwhelmed with work this week.
From: "Brandy Nee [MSFT]" on
Hello Neil,

Thank you for posting back!

I understand that the issue occurs after SBS 2K3 SP1 installed. As I
mentioned, you need to contact Microsoft Product Support Services via
telephone to download hotfix 915331. Note, it is free for you to contact
PSS to obtain Hotfix.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a
look at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for
regional support phone numbers.

==================================

If the issue persists after you installed the three hotfixes 891957, 913648
and 915331, please register the following DLL's and then test the issue
again:

Open a command prompt and change directories to \windows\system32 (this is
important when you begin registering the dlls). To do so, type following
commands:

cd C:\windows\system32

Press Enter, then you will be in the directory to \windows\system32. please
register following .dll files:

Net stop vss
Net stop swprv

regsvr32 ole32.dll
regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
vssvc /Register
regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
regsvr32 es.dll
regsvr32 stdprov.dll
regsvr32 vssui.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 msxml4.dll

Net Start vss
Net Start swprv

Test the issue again.

==================================

If the issue still exists, please help me to gather following information
for further research:

1. On the server, run "eventvwr" (without quotation marks), check whether
there are any errors. If yes, double click it, click the Copy button and
paste the full content to the Newsgroup.

2. Can you manually run NTbackup to SBS Server Local Hard Disk? To do so:

a. Click Start, click Run, type ntbackup, and then press Enter. The Backup
or Restore Wizard launches.
b. On the Welcome to the Backup or Restore Wizard page, click Advanced Mode.
c. Click the Backup tab. From the Job menu, choose Load Selections.
d. In the File Name box type %sbsprogramdir%\backup.
e. Click Small Business Backup Script.bks to select, and click Open.
f. Please choose SBS Local Hard Disk as backup destination.
g. On the Backup tab, click Start Backup.
h. Can the problem be reproduced?

Please take your time to perform the steps. Please feel free to let me know
if you have any further updates. I am waiting for your reply!

From: Neil Rashbrook on
Brandy Nee [MSFT] wrote:

>Net stop vss

The Volume Shadow Copy service could not be stopped.

>1. On the server, run "eventvwr" (without quotation marks), check whether there are any errors. If yes, double click it, click the Copy button and paste the full content to the Newsgroup.
>
>2. Can you manually run NTbackup to SBS Server Local Hard Disk?

No. As long as I try to back up the system state, then either way
produces the following events:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: NTBackup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8018
Date: 28/06/2006
Time: 12:00:10
User: N/A
Computer: #########
Begin Operation

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: ESENT
Event Category: Logging/Recovery
Event ID: 210
Date: 28/06/2006
Time: 12:00:10
User: N/A
Computer: #########
certsrv.exe (656) A full backup is starting.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ESENT
Event Category: Logging/Recovery
Event ID: 215
Date: 28/06/2006
Time: 12:00:10
User: N/A
Computer: #########
certsrv.exe (656) The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NTBackup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8019
Date: 28/06/2006
Time: 12:05:10
User: N/A
Computer: #########
End Operation: Warnings or errors were encountered.
Consult the backup report for more details.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

The VSS events are then logged some time later, they all look like this:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6013
Date: 28/06/2006
Time: 12:20:15
User: N/A
Computer: #########
Sqllib error: OLEDB Error encountered calling IDBInitialize::Initialize. hr = 0x80004005. SQLSTATE: 08001, Native Error: 17
Error state: 1, Severity: 16
Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Error message: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 2d 20 43 6f 64 65 3a 20 - Code:
0008: 53 51 4c 43 4f 4e 4e 43 SQLCONNC