From: charlie on
After performing a resotre on my Exchange Mailboxes the database has grown
from 10 GB to 35 GB.
Strangely the "Server Usage Report" reports the total mailboxsize is only 7
GB.

This morning the mailboxe store was dismounted with a logged event: 9690

Can I change the store limits from the registery entry just as with a win2k3
or is there a different approch in the SBS enviroment?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\Server
name\Private-Mailbox Store GUID
Create a new DWORD entry called "Database Size Limit in Gb

--
???`?.(*?.?(`?.? ?.??)?.?*).??`??
?.............. CHARLIE ..............?

From: Steve on
Do you have Exchange SP2 installed? If so you can increase the database size
limit to a max of 75 GB. However, you need to determine what has caused such
a large increase in size.

From: chace zhang on

Hi Charlie,

Thank you posting here.

According to your description, I understand you encountered the following
error event:
Error 9690 stating the following:
Exchange store 'First Storage Group\Mailbox Store': The logical size of
this database (the logical size equals the physical size of the .edb file
and the .stm file minus the logical free space in each) is 18 GB. This
database size has exceeded the size limit of 18 GB.
This database will be dismounted immediately.

Based on my experience, I assume you have already applied Exchange Service
Pack 2.

I agree with your idea, first of all, we can perform the steps by following
the KB 912375 to increase the "Database Size Limit in Gb" registry key.
Then please kindly help me perform the following steps to double-check
these settings. Thanks for the understanding.

1. On the computer running Exchange Server, start\Run\Regedit

2. Open one of the following registry keys:

3. The registry entries have to be made on each individual Store. (Private
and Public)

4. To configure the database size limit on a mailbox store, open the
following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\Server
name\Private-Mailbox Store GUID
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\Server
name\Public-Public Store GUID

5. Right click on the Private Store GUID and select New -> Dword Value

6. For the value name type: Database Size Limit in Gb.

7. Double -click the Database Size Limit in Gb and set the value. But
default after installing Exchange sp2 it increases to 18Gb. Type any value
between 1 and 75. These numbers represent 1GB to 75GB

8. If you want to increase the size of the Public Store follow steps 5 - 7
above.

9. Restart the Information Store service

10. Look in the Application Log within the Event Viewer 1216 this file
should show the desired size.

If you want to get notification when the store size is close to the
limitation, we also can do it by the registry. By default, Exchange 2003
SP2 logs events when the database has grown to within 10% of the configured
database size limit. This threshold is configurable. The smallest buffer
is 1% of the configured size limit. The following registry value controls
the Database Size Buffer Warning:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\Server
name\Private-Mailbox Store GUID\Database Size Buffer in Percentage

Data Type: REG_DWORD
Name: Database Size Buffer in Percentage
Value: 1-100
Default: 10%

If it fires, you will get a 9688 event in the application log. For more
information, you may refer to the following article:

More details on Standard DB limit size increase in Exchange 2003 SP2
http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/archive/2005/09/14/410821.aspx

Database Size Limit Configuration and Management
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3TechRef/6c4
ce7bb-5289-4221-a87c-b9c78ab7c09c.mspx

In addition, I suggest you perform an offline defragmentation of your
mailbox store by using the Eseutil tool after above steps.

You must dismount the mailbox store before you run an offline
defragmentation. Additionally, you must have free disk space equal to at
least 110 percent (%) of the database size to run eseutil /d . If you do
not designate a temporary location for the database file by using the t
command, the temporary location is automatically set to the Exchsrvr/Bin
folder.

In the example in this step, X is a temporary drive letter location for the
defragmented database on the hard disk drive or on a network drive. After
you run the eseutil /d command on your mailbox store, you must dismount all
the stores in the storage group and remove any log files in the Mdbdata
folder before you remount the database. The time to complete an offline
defragmentation varies depending on factors such as the hardware involved
or whether the temporary database is redirected to a network drive. The
following command is an example of the command line that you use to run the
Eseutil tool:
exchsrvr\bin\eseutil /d "location of .edb file" /t X :\tempdfg.edb
Note When you defragment an .edb database file, the associated .stm file is
defragmented also.

For more information about how to use the Eseutil tool, click the following
article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to defragment Exchange databases
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5bLN%5d;328804

Hope this helps.

If you have ant other concerns or need more help, just feel free to let me
know.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Chace Zhang (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

From: chace zhang on
Hi Charlie,

I would like to provide you additional info:

1. Purge the transaction log files.
Generally, if we perform an online backup of the Information store on
Exchange server, these logs files can be removed. To do so, please refer to
the following KB article:
258243 How to Back Up and Restore an Exchange Computer by Using the Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=258243

2. Run offline defragment.

After defragmentation, perform another backup of these database files (.edb
and .stm) and mount it in the System Manager to see if the problem ceases.

After that, perform the similar process for Public Folder store.

Here is a KB article for further reference:
328804 XADM: How to Defragment Exchange 2000 Server Databases
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328804

Moreover, if the antivirus application or backup program tries to scan the
MDBDATA folder, the folder size may be increased. Therefore, please ensure
that no application attempts to scan the folder.

Thanks for your time.

From: charlie on
Hi chace,

Thanks for all the handy information.

But I am almost out of resources, the disk with the database installed is
almost full.
Please tell me I can also use eseutil /d /p with a mapped network drive?

--

Pages: 1 2
Prev: VSS event 6013
Next: backup/dns? problem