From: midnight on
My questions are about custom controls in a vb.net 2008 application that are
as follows:

1. I have a vb.net 2008 windows large solution that I need to work with.
I am getting error messages about can not find certain dll. I am almost
certain these are custom controls.
Can you tell me how to find the dlls in the solution? (The code was just
stored in the windows explorer system for this small company.)
2. Do I need to build the custom controls first so that I can add them as a
reference later on in the solution? If not what, what is the process of
building custom controls and then and referencing them later on in a solution?
3. When I open this .net solution for the first time, there are alot of
projects that are missing references. Can you tell me how to locate these
references?
(They are custom references and not microsoft code).
From: Phill W. on
On 26/06/2010 20:53, midnight wrote:
> My questions are about custom controls in a vb.net 2008 application that are
> as follows:
>
> 1. I have a vb.net 2008 windows large solution that I need to work with.
> I am getting error messages about can not find certain dll. I am almost
> certain these are custom controls.
Where did you get this Solution from? Presumably not from a Source
Version Control package of any kind?

If you're missing stuff, then your first port of call really ought to be
the person who created it (or, at the very least, worked on it last) and
find out where the missing bits are.

> Can you tell me how to find the dlls in the solution? (The code was just
> stored in the windows explorer system for this small company.)
Open up the Project file(s) (in your favourite text editor; even Notepad
will do). Look for "reference" entries and, in particular, the
"hintPath" attributes that go with them. These should identify the last
location from which the assembly was loaded into this Project.

> 2. Do I need to build the custom controls first so that I can add them as a
> reference later on in the solution? If not what, what is the process of
> building custom controls and then and referencing them later on in a solution?
If they ship as separate dll's, then yes, you need to build them first.

> 3. When I open this .net solution for the first time, there are a lot of
> projects that are missing references. Can you tell me how to locate these
> references?
Again, look through the Project Files (in Notepad) for the
reference/hintPath entries.

HTH,
Phill W.