From: kitekrazy on
On 3/9/2010 11:05 AM, Phoenix wrote:
> I recently dumped ZoneAlarm cos
> it's been giving me grief for a while now, but it was just fine for years.

By chance do you also have MS Security Essentials installed?
Zone Labs has been blaming every other developer for their product not
working.
From: Phoenix on
Not while I was using ZoneAlarm. Win7 does come with Windows Defender of
course but I had it turned off. Didn't even have Adaware or Spybot on the
system yet, either.
I think it was something about the Win7-compatible version that they
changed. It did take them quite a while to come out with a version that
would even run on Win7 64-bit.
For one thing, it was interfering with Windows' System Restore...I could
only run it from safe mode. And for some reason it was a nightmare to
install on my mom's eMachines, even though I had de-Nortonized it
thoroughly.
Anyway, I happened to mention it to the guys at ADK when I ordered my
laptop, and they said there's a few AVs that tech support strongly advises
against, and that's one of them. I asked them why and they said it
interferes with networking, among other things. I hadn't been networking my
machines since my old laptop started to go south, but I do seem to recall
that transfer was a lot slower than it ought to have been...so I decided to
give MSSE a try. Fortunately I always make an image with my music programs
installed before any AV.

From: gray asphalt on
One thing that I wonder if anyone
disagrees with - the best video