From: Phoenix on
Hi gang,

My sister-in-law wants me to put together a video presentation for my
niece's sweet 16 party in June.
Actually she said she wanted to hire me but I refused payment cos 1) it's
family and 2) she's not even asking me to do an original score (although
I'll probably do some anyway).
Anyway, as is I have Easy Media Creator 2010, which is what I usually use
for YouTube stuff and contest submissions, but I started to think that Vegas
would be better; everyone seems to use it, and that if Doris insists on
compensating me a good idea might be to let her buy me Vegas so that Nikki
would have a cooler video as a result.
Not Vegas Pro for $599, though; I wouldn't ask them to spend that much, and
I could always upgrade later if I got more into the video end of things
myself. Looking at their comparison chart I'm thinking either Vegas Movie
Studio Platinum or Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro Pack, leaning towards the
latter cos of SoundForge being included.
Which versions are you folks using?

From: Bob Donald on
I use Vegas Pro<still on 5> and have done a few projects along these lines;
annivesary presentations, etc... For this type of stuff it's been overkill,
I think I could have easily got by with Vegas Movie Studio. Good luck with
the video, your niece is gonna love it!

Bob

From: kitekrazy on
On 2/8/2010 1:00 PM, Bob Donald wrote:
> I use Vegas Pro<still on 5> and have done a few projects along these lines;
> annivesary presentations, etc... For this type of stuff it's been overkill,
> I think I could have easily got by with Vegas Movie Studio. Good luck with
> the video, your niece is gonna love it!
>
> Bob
>
> "Phoenix"<gtr_phoenix(a)killerrabbit.verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Hi gang,
>>
>> My sister-in-law wants me to put together a video presentation for my
>> niece's sweet 16 party in June.
>> Actually she said she wanted to hire me but I refused payment cos 1) it's
>> family and 2) she's not even asking me to do an original score (although
>> I'll probably do some anyway).
>> Anyway, as is I have Easy Media Creator 2010, which is what I usually use
>> for YouTube stuff and contest submissions, but I started to think that
>> Vegas would be better; everyone seems to use it, and that if Doris insists
>> on compensating me a good idea might be to let her buy me Vegas so that
>> Nikki would have a cooler video as a result.
>> Not Vegas Pro for $599, though; I wouldn't ask them to spend that much,
>> and I could always upgrade later if I got more into the video end of
>> things myself. Looking at their comparison chart I'm thinking either Vegas
>> Movie Studio Platinum or Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Pro Pack, leaning
>> towards the latter cos of SoundForge being included.
>> Which versions are you folks using?

I use V9x64.

Movie Studio Platinum is a good buy.
From: gray asphalt on
I spent a few hundred, over the years, on Media Studio Pro,
which was bought out and discontinued by Corel. I don't think
Vegas is any more stable as a company, although I could be
completely wrong ... so I'd buy Adobe Premier, elements
might be enough, for $100. As much as I dislike Adobe, who
bought and screwed up CoolEdit and who won't sell me a
copy of Adobe Acrobat Pro, a replacement disk ("buy the
upgrade for $220) ... anyway I'd still recommend going with
a company that won't go belly up.

From: Phoenix on
I think I'll stick with Vegas for now, more folks I know use it (so I can
ask questions!).
If I end up dealing more with video longterm and need to invest more $$ I'll
reconsider the iuuse.
Even if a company stays in business there's no guarantee they won't frak the
software up at some point, though. I recently dumped ZoneAlarm cos it's been
giving me grief for a while now, but it was just fine for years.