From: MRRIGGA on
Hi
My laptop is very slow loading into windows after bios. Have reformatted the
hard drive completely. When it leaves the bios to start windows (xp home) the
screen is black except for the broken white line this takes a good 5 minutes
before going solid and opening windows. Have tried changing the memory sticks
still the same. Any ideas please
Regards
--

B J G
From: Shenan Stanley on
MRRIGGA wrote:
> My laptop is very slow loading into windows after bios. Have
> reformatted the hard drive completely. When it leaves the bios to
> start windows (xp home) the screen is black except for the broken
> white line this takes a good 5 minutes before going solid and
> opening windows. Have tried changing the memory sticks still the
> same. Any ideas please

All the correct drivers installed?
Minimal things running at startup/logon?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Bob I on
Does all the installed hardware appear in the Device manager with no
issues?

From: Brian Gregory [UK] on
"MRRIGGA" <MRRIGGA(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> My laptop is very slow loading into windows after bios. Have reformatted
> the
> hard drive completely. When it leaves the bios to start windows (xp home)
> the
> screen is black except for the broken white line this takes a good 5
> minutes
> before going solid and opening windows. Have tried changing the memory
> sticks
> still the same. Any ideas please

It could be bad sectors on your hard drive.
Test the drive thoroughly if you can or, if you don't want to spend a lot of
time/money, try creating a small (say 10 to 20MB) unformatted partition on
the drive before the main active partition.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
ng(a)bgdsv.co.uk