From: LeeG on
I have been having a problem with my new GT220 graphics card. (nv4_disp.dll
infinite loop.) I need to replace it and, due to this problem, I am
considering a ATI card instead. What I would like to know is what ATI card
is comparable to the nVidia GT250 chipset card. I am reluctant to use a
nVidia card in this machine because I strongly believe that it is a chipset
conflict of some kind.
From: Paul on
LeeG wrote:
> I have been having a problem with my new GT220 graphics card. (nv4_disp.dll
> infinite loop.) I need to replace it and, due to this problem, I am
> considering a ATI card instead. What I would like to know is what ATI card
> is comparable to the nVidia GT250 chipset card. I am reluctant to use a
> nVidia card in this machine because I strongly believe that it is a chipset
> conflict of some kind.

Did you uninstall the previous video card driver, before installing
the new card ? I like to uninstall the previous driver, put in the
new card, then install the driver for it.

I checked the Newegg reviews for various brands of GT 220, and for
the most part, they seemed to have problems with the fan or cooling
on the card. So some of the cards, cut corners too much on cooling.
You can use GPUZ and the sensor tab, to read out your GPU temperature.
If you see a high temperature, the problem could be as simple as
the heatsink assembly not making good contact with the GPU.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

For example, my card right now is idling at 40C, as read out by GPUZ.

The driver situation doesn't seem to cover all OSes equally well, so
some people were not happy with the available driver.

If you've really given up on the card, the charts on Tomshardware are a
convenient way to compare performance. I don't always like the nature
of the benchmarks they use, but at least there are charts to look at.
(Since they change the version of benchmarks used, it isn't possible
to go back a lot of years, and compare to much older cards.)

The GT 220 is down near the bottom.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality/3DMark06-v1.1.0-3DMark-Score,1829.html

More charts here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts

Paul
From: LeeG on
Hi Paul.

Max recorded temp I have with this card is 68 degrees (under
Benchmark/stress testing conditions). Idle temp around 55 degrees. (I have
yet to have this problem when benchmarking/stress testing, only when running
games.)

I have gone through all the possible solutions and trawled through god knows
how many web pages trying to find a solution. Contacted nVidia, MSI, PNY,
inno3D. Each one is saying it is not their problem. I have good overall
cooling for my case.

It also looks like it is a problem with ATI cards as well.

I look at this problem and cannot seem to find a common cause. Different
GPU's, mobo's, PSU's, processors, games, drivers etc. The problem seems to
be a communication problem between the graphics card and the mobo. Almost
like there is a blockage, one thing waiting for another thing and then
finally giving up.

I always try to uninstall the previous drivers with anything and have used
driversweeper as well to make sure.

I initially got this card without taking too much notice of the relative
performance, I was more interested in the HDMI outputs and the cost, and must
admit that its performance is not that good. That is why I am looking at the
GT250 or ATI equivalent.

My main concern is whether I will continue to have this problem with the new
card.

From: LeeG on
Hi Paul.

I found this site which I think is quite useful as a reference.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php

From: Paul on
LeeG wrote:
> Hi Paul.
>
> I found this site which I think is quite useful as a reference.
>
> http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php

I use that site quite a bit for comparisons, but I lack the skills
to convert all the functional unit numbers, into a "card strength".
Which is why I suggest a benchmark instead, as a safer rating method.

In terms of your original problem, I'd probably take a spare disk
and install a clean copy of WinXP and test again. I queue up all
my software first on the disk (on a separate partition), disconnect
from the Internet, and install the OS and SP3. Then give it a try and see
if it runs OK or not. (That means I'd be missing all the security
updates, but it should still work for hardware test purposes.)

I don't see a lot of evidence for PCI Express compatibility issues.
I think the design concepts used in PCI Express are cleaner than
AGP. There is no "aperture". The cards look to the OS like they're
on a PCI bus. The cards still do DMA for fast transfers. Interrupts
are message based, so there isn't even an interrupt pin on the
card. And in terms of compliance, there are very few issues with
PCI Express. The only one that comes to mind, is when the first
Revision 2 cards came out, and didn't negotiate down to Revision 1
rates properly. And that was fixed by a video card firmware update.
Other than that, the history of PCI Express, is amazingly clean.

Any motherboard that has real problems, likely comes with a warning.
There is at least one VIA chipset motherboard, where the motherboard
manufacturer gives a list of "compliant" video cards. That is a
warning that all is not right. But that particular case was
caused by the video slot not having full x16 wiring. If you
don't have a "bargain basement" motherboard (like the previous one
I was using), chances are you'll be OK. My video slot was only
wired x4, and that seemed to bother a few common video cards
(according to the compatibility list). Regular motherboards have
x16 wiring on at least one x16 slot, and then I would not expect
surprises.

Paul