From: Barry_M on
Windows XP Pro. SP3
My mouse stopped working for no apparent reason. Device Manager -> PS/2
Compatible Mouse Properties -> General [tab] -> Device Status says, "Windows
cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information in
the registry is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."
Troubleshooter says, "Uninstall and then reinstall your device." To do this
I must right-click the device in Device Manager and then click Uninstall ->
Confirm Device Removal -> OK. However, I cannot right-click anything without
a functioning mouse (someone needs to rethink these instructions more
clearly).
Can someone please help me to complete the required process to uninstall and
reinstall my mouse?
From: Paul on
Barry_M wrote:
> Windows XP Pro. SP3
> My mouse stopped working for no apparent reason. Device Manager -> PS/2
> Compatible Mouse Properties -> General [tab] -> Device Status says, "Windows
> cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information in
> the registry is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
> Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."
> Troubleshooter says, "Uninstall and then reinstall your device." To do this
> I must right-click the device in Device Manager and then click Uninstall ->
> Confirm Device Removal -> OK. However, I cannot right-click anything without
> a functioning mouse (someone needs to rethink these instructions more
> clearly).
> Can someone please help me to complete the required process to uninstall and
> reinstall my mouse?

There is a DEVCON script here, for tearing down the USB stack.

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php

RenewUSB.bat Remove all USB devices and then rescan for new ones

But I can't tell from your description, whether you have enough control over the
machine right now, to do anything to it.

Another option, might be to attempt the usage of a Restore Point from
System Restore, from Safe Mode. Perhaps that will put things right.
System Restore keeps copies of the registry, so you might go backward
in time 24 hours, and see if it works any better.

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/safemode.html

"System Restore can be run the same as in normal mode. The only difference
is an UNDO restore point will not be automatically created."

I know what your situation feels like, because when I installed my new motherboard
(without a complete set of PS/2 interfaces), I was stuck for the first few minutes
with no working input either. Fortunately, the built-in WinXP drivers rescued
me, before I pitched the box out the window :-)

HTH,
Paul
From: Etaoin Shrdlu on
On 4/18/2010 8:18 PM, Barry_M wrote:

> Windows XP Pro. SP3
> My mouse stopped working for no apparent reason. Device Manager -> PS/2
> Compatible Mouse Properties -> General [tab] -> Device Status says, "Windows
> cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information in
> the registry is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
> Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."
> Troubleshooter says, "Uninstall and then reinstall your device." To do this
> I must right-click the device in Device Manager and then click Uninstall ->
> Confirm Device Removal -> OK. However, I cannot right-click anything without
> a functioning mouse (someone needs to rethink these instructions more
> clearly).
> Can someone please help me to complete the required process to uninstall and
> reinstall my mouse?

You can navigate most windows (including Device Manager) using the
keyboard. In general, use the Tab key to move from item to item; use the
cursor (arrow) keys to move up and down; use the "+" key to expand a
category, and use the Enter key to open things--for example, when you're
located on your device in Device Manager, hit Enter and the dialog for
it will come up.
From: Bob I on

Barry_M wrote:

> Windows XP Pro. SP3
> My mouse stopped working for no apparent reason. Device Manager -> PS/2
> Compatible Mouse Properties -> General [tab] -> Device Status says, "Windows
> cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information in
> the registry is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
> Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."
> Troubleshooter says, "Uninstall and then reinstall your device." To do this
> I must right-click the device in Device Manager and then click Uninstall ->
> Confirm Device Removal -> OK. However, I cannot right-click anything without
> a functioning mouse

It's the context menu key found between the Right hand CTRL and Windows
keys.

From: Barry_M on

"Paul" wrote:

> Barry_M wrote:
> > Windows XP Pro. SP3
> > My mouse stopped working for no apparent reason. Device Manager -> PS/2
> > Compatible Mouse Properties -> General [tab] -> Device Status says, "Windows
> > cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information in
> > the registry is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
> > Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."
> > Troubleshooter says, "Uninstall and then reinstall your device." To do this
> > I must right-click the device in Device Manager and then click Uninstall ->
> > Confirm Device Removal -> OK. However, I cannot right-click anything without
> > a functioning mouse (someone needs to rethink these instructions more
> > clearly).
> > Can someone please help me to complete the required process to uninstall and
> > reinstall my mouse?
>
> There is a DEVCON script here, for tearing down the USB stack.
>
> http://www.robvanderwoude.com/devcon.php
>
> RenewUSB.bat Remove all USB devices and then rescan for new ones
>
> But I can't tell from your description, whether you have enough control over the
> machine right now, to do anything to it.
>
> Another option, might be to attempt the usage of a Restore Point from
> System Restore, from Safe Mode. Perhaps that will put things right.
> System Restore keeps copies of the registry, so you might go backward
> in time 24 hours, and see if it works any better.
>
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/safemode.html
>
> "System Restore can be run the same as in normal mode. The only difference
> is an UNDO restore point will not be automatically created."
>
> I know what your situation feels like, because when I installed my new motherboard
> (without a complete set of PS/2 interfaces), I was stuck for the first few minutes
> with no working input either. Fortunately, the built-in WinXP drivers rescued
> me, before I pitched the box out the window :-)
>
> HTH,
> Paul
> .

Thanks for your reply, Paul.
System Restore has invariably failed without explanation on my computer
since I first started using Windows XP Pro., despite numerous OS
reinstallations and several system hardware changes during that period. I
have given up on it.
Since my posting I found that I am able to uninstall the mouse through
Device Manager, so I do not need DevCon.exe to do that. However, my problem
is not solved because when I uninstall the mouse, restart my computer and
check Device Manager, I find that it shows up again and Device Status gives
the same message.