From: Peter Olcott on
I want to understand the specification details of video
cards so that I can choose one that provides the fastest
glyph rendering.
My current guess is that memory throughput (bandwidth) is
one of the most important aspects of video card performance.
What am I missing?

From: kony on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:09:52 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
<NoSpam(a)SeeScreen.com> wrote:

>I want to understand the specification details of video
>cards so that I can choose one that provides the fastest
>glyph rendering.
>My current guess is that memory throughput (bandwidth) is
>one of the most important aspects of video card performance.
>What am I missing?

Can you describe the glyph rendering process? Is it in 2D
or 3D space? I am suspecting there is no significant
bottleneck from the video subsystem in glyph rendering, that
it would be system memory or CPU bound and the video card
merely outputs the result.
From: Peter Olcott on

"kony" <spam(a)spam.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:09:52 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
> <NoSpam(a)SeeScreen.com> wrote:
>
>>I want to understand the specification details of video
>>cards so that I can choose one that provides the fastest
>>glyph rendering.
>>My current guess is that memory throughput (bandwidth) is
>>one of the most important aspects of video card
>>performance.
>>What am I missing?
>>

> Can you describe the glyph rendering process? Is it in 2D
> or 3D space? I am suspecting there is no significant
> bottleneck from the video subsystem in glyph rendering,
> that
> it would be system memory or CPU bound and the video card
> merely outputs the result.

Glyph rendering is forming the cleartype text character
images on the MS Windows display screen in 2D space.
Hardware support for this process is apparently available in
directX 9.0 and above. I need it to be very fast because I
have to generate about three million character glyphs many
times.

This typically takes about 45 minutes of wall-clock time, I
was able to cut this time in half with a different video
card, so I know that the video card is the bottle neck. The
video card that is slow is GeForce 8400 GS, and the fast one
is a much older GeForce 6200.

From: kony on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:59:02 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
<NoSpam(a)SeeScreen.com> wrote:

>"kony" <spam(a)spam.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:09:52 -0600, "Peter Olcott"
>> <NoSpam(a)SeeScreen.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I want to understand the specification details of video
>>>cards so that I can choose one that provides the fastest
>>>glyph rendering.
>>>My current guess is that memory throughput (bandwidth) is
>>>one of the most important aspects of video card
>>>performance.
>>>What am I missing?
>>>

>> Can you describe the glyph rendering process? Is it in 2D
>> or 3D space? I am suspecting there is no significant
>> bottleneck from the video subsystem in glyph rendering,
>> that
>> it would be system memory or CPU bound and the video card
>> merely outputs the result.
>
>Glyph rendering is forming the cleartype text character
>images on the MS Windows display screen in 2D space.
>Hardware support for this process is apparently available in
>directX 9.0 and above. I need it to be very fast because I
>have to generate about three million character glyphs many
>times.
>
>This typically takes about 45 minutes of wall-clock time, I
>was able to cut this time in half with a different video
>card, so I know that the video card is the bottle neck. The
>video card that is slow is GeForce 8400 GS, and the fast one
>is a much older GeForce 6200.

OK, I may not have your answer, but I can still ask a good
question: What is the budget?

Is this software depending on optimizations from particular
drivers, a particular company, for example do you expect
better results from an equivalent ATI or nVidia card, all
else being equal?