Prev: suse
Next: update fails
From: Michael Soibelman on
I've begun studying for the LPI certification exams and am wondering if
it would be better, more effective to learn Vim in text mode in a
terminal (konsole in my case) or in Gui mode as in GVim ? My instinct is
to use text mode as being proficient in this mode is 'necessary' to being
an effective sysadmin. After all there is no Gui toolbar in runlevel 3 !!

So what is your opiniion ? Learn in text mode or gui mode ? Which is
more efficient/effective for learning to use Vim in a system
administration role ?

Thank you for your reasoned explanation, philosophical or otherwise.
This future sysadmin wants to know so he can better serve the openSUSE
usenet news forum in the future.

World Domination happens one sysadmin at a time ! ;-)
From: J G Miller on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:05:11 +0000, Michael Soibelman wrote:

> I've begun studying for the LPI certification exams and am wondering if
> it would be better, more effective to learn Vim in text mode in a
> terminal (konsole in my case) or in Gui mode as in GVim ?

The answer is obvious -- you learn the text mode first, and then if
you ever have time, learn the add-on features of the GUI mode.
From: Michael Soibelman on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 20:32:53 +0200, houghi wrote:

> Michael Soibelman wrote:
>> I've begun studying for the LPI certification exams and am wondering if
>> it would be better, more effective to learn Vim in text mode in a
>> terminal (konsole in my case) or in Gui mode as in GVim ? My instinct
>> is to use text mode as being proficient in this mode is 'necessary' to
>> being an effective sysadmin. After all there is no Gui toolbar in
>> runlevel 3 !!
>>
>> So what is your opiniion ? Learn in text mode or gui mode ? Which is
>> more efficient/effective for learning to use Vim in a system
>> administration role ?
>
> vim, definatly. Although gvim has the explanation of the commands in the
> menu. The reson I now use gvim is because it is easier to use tabs. So
> you could look there what is possible.
>
> Also look for some nice cheat sheets for vim:
> http://www.lagmonster.org/docs/vi.html Although there are many others
> out there. And start with `vimtutor`
>
> That way you can also use vi if vim is not installed on a machine.
>
> houghi

Thanks for the link and the advice. Vi(m) it is. This confirms my
instinct to go text only.

Mike

P.S. If it was any longer I'd ------snip----- this article :-)
From: Michael Soibelman on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 20:40:38 +0200, J G Miller wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:05:11 +0000, Michael Soibelman wrote:
>
>> I've begun studying for the LPI certification exams and am wondering if
>> it would be better, more effective to learn Vim in text mode in a
>> terminal (konsole in my case) or in Gui mode as in GVim ?
>
> The answer is obvious -- you learn the text mode first, and then if you
> ever have time, learn the add-on features of the GUI mode.

As I suspected and Houghi also pointed out.

Thank you
From: Paul J Gans on
Michael Soibelman <not-here(a)somewhere.invalid> wrote:
>I've begun studying for the LPI certification exams and am wondering if
>it would be better, more effective to learn Vim in text mode in a
>terminal (konsole in my case) or in Gui mode as in GVim ? My instinct is
>to use text mode as being proficient in this mode is 'necessary' to being
>an effective sysadmin. After all there is no Gui toolbar in runlevel 3 !!

>So what is your opiniion ? Learn in text mode or gui mode ? Which is
>more efficient/effective for learning to use Vim in a system
>administration role ?

>Thank you for your reasoned explanation, philosophical or otherwise.
>This future sysadmin wants to know so he can better serve the openSUSE
>usenet news forum in the future.

>World Domination happens one sysadmin at a time ! ;-)

I never learned anything but vi(m). I'd be surprised if GVim
is as widely disseminated as vi(m), particularly on servers
which may not even have X installed.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

Pages: 1