From: Paul on
Cameo wrote:
> "GMAN" <Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org> wrote in message
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA
>>

>> The first version of what is now called the ATA/ATAPI interface was
>> developed
>> by Western Digital under the name Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE).
>> Together
>> with Control Data Corporation (who manufactured the hard drive part) and
>> Compaq Computer (into whose systems these drives would initially go),
>> they
>> developed the connector, the signalling protocols, and so on with the
>> goal of
>> remaining software compatible with the existing ST-506 hard drive
>> interface.[2] The first such drives appeared in Compaq PCs in 1986.[3]
>> [4]
>
> Hm, I guess I just never thought IDE was just another name for ATAPI. My
> bad.
> Be as it may, that makes it even a bigger mistery why I could not get my
> Plextor ATAPI drive to boot from. It seems that the BIOS in the Tekram
> DC-390U2W SCSI adapter card handles the drives attached to it with
> higher priority than the ATAPI drive even though CD-ROM is the first in
> the motherboard's boot sequence. I might add that it's not an Asus board
> but an Abit one. I just don't see any traffic on the Abit related news
> group, so I posted here thinking maybe it's a common problem with that
> generation of motherboards. Apparently it's not.

Abit is out of the motherboard business now. That is why there would be
little traffic in their newsgroup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_abit

Paul
From: Cameo on
"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> Abit is out of the motherboard business now. That is why there would
> be
> little traffic in their newsgroup.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_abit

I suspected it as I had not seen any of their motherboards in stores for
a long time. Too bad, as about 10 years ago they came out with some
pioneering designs and were in hot competition with Asus. The
overclocking crowd used to love Abit mobos.

From: GMAN on
In article <hj19u2$7ie$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, "Cameo" <cameo(a)cameo.invalid> wrote:
>"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
>> Abit is out of the motherboard business now. That is why there would
>> be
>> little traffic in their newsgroup.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_abit
>
>I suspected it as I had not seen any of their motherboards in stores for
>a long time. Too bad, as about 10 years ago they came out with some
>pioneering designs and were in hot competition with Asus. The
>overclocking crowd used to love Abit mobos.

Back then they had some of the earliest and best boards based on the BX
chipset.
From: Cameo on
> Back then they had some of the earliest and best boards based on the
> BX
> chipset.

Yes, that's why I bought mine. It's BX6 Rev. 2.