From: Cameo on
I wonder if any of you ever had a motherboard of 1999/2000 vintage with
SCSI hard drives and later added ATAPI CD-ROM drive that you could boot
from. I have one that will run the CD-ROM drive fine once the PC is
booted, but won't boot from it.

From: Gettamulla Tupya on
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 21:24:30 -0800, "Cameo" <cameo(a)cameo.invalid> wrote:

> I wonder if any of you ever had a motherboard of 1999/2000 vintage with
> SCSI hard drives and later added ATAPI CD-ROM drive that you could boot
> from. I have one that will run the CD-ROM drive fine once the PC is
> booted, but won't boot from it.

I was doing that back in 1996.

From: Cameo on
"Gettamulla Tupya" <gettamullatupya(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I was doing that back in 1996.

I don't think ATAPI standard existed then.

From: GMAN on
In article <hivqbb$ca9$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, "Cameo" <cameo(a)cameo.invalid> wrote:
>"Gettamulla Tupya" <gettamullatupya(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I was doing that back in 1996.
>
>I don't think ATAPI standard existed then.

\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA

The first version of what is now called the ATA/ATAPI interface was developed
by Western Digital under the name Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE). Together
with Control Data Corporation (who manufactured the hard drive part) and
Compaq Computer (into whose systems these drives would initially go), they
developed the connector, the signalling protocols, and so on with the goal of
remaining software compatible with the existing ST-506 hard drive
interface.[2] The first such drives appeared in Compaq PCs in 1986.[3] [4]

From: Cameo on
"GMAN" <Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org> wrote in message

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA
>

> The first version of what is now called the ATA/ATAPI interface was
> developed
> by Western Digital under the name Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE).
> Together
> with Control Data Corporation (who manufactured the hard drive part)
> and
> Compaq Computer (into whose systems these drives would initially go),
> they
> developed the connector, the signalling protocols, and so on with the
> goal of
> remaining software compatible with the existing ST-506 hard drive
> interface.[2] The first such drives appeared in Compaq PCs in 1986.[3]
> [4]

Hm, I guess I just never thought IDE was just another name for ATAPI. My
bad.
Be as it may, that makes it even a bigger mistery why I could not get my
Plextor ATAPI drive to boot from. It seems that the BIOS in the Tekram
DC-390U2W SCSI adapter card handles the drives attached to it with
higher priority than the ATAPI drive even though CD-ROM is the first in
the motherboard's boot sequence. I might add that it's not an Asus board
but an Abit one. I just don't see any traffic on the Abit related news
group, so I posted here thinking maybe it's a common problem with that
generation of motherboards. Apparently it's not.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Asus Software
Next: I think it must be the power supply