From: stephen.craven on
The CTO of Xilinx, during his keynote this morning at the
Reconfigurable Architectures Workshop in Atlanta, made mention of the
recent announcement of the Virtex 7 architecture. My colleagues and I
assumed that either the announcement was very recent or not very well
publicized as none of us had heard anything official regarding Virtex
7. A subsequent web search returned little except for a white paper on
28nm technology.

Does anyone know what announcement the CTO was referring to?
From: backhus on
On 21 Apr., 18:15, Ed McGettigan <ed.mcgetti...(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
> On Apr 20, 6:20 pm, "stephen.cra...(a)gmail.com"
>
> <stephen.cra...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > The CTO of Xilinx, during his keynote this morning at the
> > Reconfigurable Architectures Workshop in Atlanta, made mention of the
> > recent announcement of the Virtex 7 architecture.  My colleagues and I
> > assumed that either the announcement was very recent or not very well
> > publicized as none of us had heard anything official regarding Virtex
> > 7. A subsequent web search returned little except for a white paper on
> > 28nm technology.
>
> > Does anyone know what announcement the CTO was referring to?
>
> Either your colleagues misheard what was said our our CTO, Ivo Bolson,
> mispoke.  There has been no announcement of a Virtex-7 FPGA family.
>
> Xilinx did recently announce aspects of future families that will be
> developed on the 28nm process node.http://www.xilinx.com/technology/roadmap/index.htm
>
> Ed McGettigan
> --
> Xilinx Inc.

Hi,
in Elektronik issue 8/2010 (bimonthly leading German electronics
magazine) there's a featured article about "The FPGA of the Future".
There is a statement that says :" The fabrication of [Xilinx's] 28nm
devices will take place at Samsung and TSMC.
The Spartan and Virtex product lines will be joined into a single
product family for the 28 nm devices by Xilinx - PROBABLY named
Virtex-7"

So, the name is in print already. It's NOT mentioned who came up with
it, but unless Xilinx doesn't plan to name this new line totally
different it's an obvious guess.
Rumors travel fast. :-)

Regards
Eilert