From: Yousuf Khan on
I have a laptop which came with the McAfee anti-virus trial version. I
of course immediately uninstalled the overpriced POS, and installed AVG
on it. Eventually I had a problem with AVG during a version upgrade, and
so I had to uninstall AVG as well. I left the machine without an
anti-virus, and to my surprise Security Center didn't complain about a
lack of AV. I looked in it and it said that McAfee was installed and
running properly! McAfee may have been installed and running properly at
one time ... 4 years ago! Why does Security Center still think it's
installed now?

Also now I've installed Avira Antivir instead of AVG, but Security
Center still thinks McAfee is installed? What's going on here? I looked
through the Add/Remove Programs, and McAfee doesn't appear on the list
anywhere.

Yousuf Khan
From: Bruce Hagen on

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a laptop which came with the McAfee anti-virus trial version. I of
>course immediately uninstalled the overpriced POS, and installed AVG on
>it. Eventually I had a problem with AVG during a version upgrade, and so
>I had to uninstall AVG as well. I left the machine without an anti-virus,
>and to my surprise Security Center didn't complain about a lack of AV. I
>looked in it and it said that McAfee was installed and running properly!
>McAfee may have been installed and running properly at one time ... 4
>years ago! Why does Security Center still think it's installed now?
>
> Also now I've installed Avira Antivir instead of AVG, but Security
> Center still thinks McAfee is installed? What's going on here? I looked
> through the Add/Remove Programs, and McAfee doesn't appear on the list
> anywhere.
>
> Yousuf Khan

Run this tool.

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool three-step fix
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

From: smlunatick on
On May 17, 6:43 pm, Yousuf Khan <bbb...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a laptop which came with the McAfee anti-virus trial version. I
> of course immediately uninstalled the overpriced POS, and installed AVG
> on it. Eventually I had a problem with AVG during a version upgrade, and
> so I had to uninstall AVG as well. I left the machine without an
> anti-virus, and to my surprise Security Center didn't complain about a
> lack of AV. I looked in it and it said that McAfee was installed and
> running properly! McAfee may have been installed and running properly at
> one time ... 4 years ago! Why does Security Center still think it's
> installed now?
>
> Also now I've installed Avira Antivir instead of AVG, but Security
> Center still thinks McAfee is installed? What's going on here? I looked
> through the Add/Remove Programs, and McAfee doesn't appear on the list
> anywhere.
>
>         Yousuf Khan

As the previous answer, it seems that McAfee is also suffering from a
non-complete removal. This happens to other A/V (note Norton is the
major PAIN.)
From: Yousuf Khan on
Bruce Hagen wrote:
> Run this tool.
>
> McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool three-step fix
> http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

Thanks, looks like it'll work. I'm about to reboot now, after running
the tool. Bye.

Yousuf Khan