From: Florian on
Hi,

I just installed Windows 7 as a guest in VPC (Hosted by Windows 7 x64).
Now the Display of the VPC flickers quite a lot.
My guess was Hardware Acceleration found in display Settings (as was the
usual response I found in the web). But I can't access these Settings because
Display Settings including the Advanced button (behind which the Hardware
Acceleration Settings should hide) are disabled in remote connections.

Can someone please give me a hint either to how to change the Hardware
Acceleration in remote sessions, connecting to a VPC so it wouldn't be
treated as a remote connection or another hint how to improve the displaying
performance of Windows 7 in VPC?

Thanks
Florian
From: Florian on
Small update:

I tried out connecting to the virtual machine using a normal rdp connection
on which the flickering was gone. Somehow the performance of the remote
connection used by Virtual PC itself isn't quite as good as an normal
connection.

Now I've got a dummy window open in the background because as far as I can
see there's no easy way to just start a vm in the background, but at least I
can work again.

Maybe I should have stuck with W2k8 and HyperV....

If anyone can give me a hint to resolve this so that I can get rid of the
second window I currently need (1 vpc, 1 rdp) it would still be much
appreciated :)
From: Robert Comer on
Here's a script to start a virtual machine without the console:

Set objShell = CreateObject ("WScript.Shell")
Set virtualpc = CreateObject("VirtualPC.Application")
set vm = virtualpc.FindVirtualMachine("myVPC")
vm.Startup

Where myVPC is the name of the virtual machine. Just type this into
notepad, save as a .vbs file, then just double click it to start the
VM.

I'm curious about the flickering though -- what kind of hardware do
you have, especially the Video card? Do you have the latest drivers?
What CPU?

--
Bob Comer