From: Deva on
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to communicate Virtual PCs(2007) together with help of Microsoft
Loopback Adapter in Windows XP(host machine), But I could not make it. Here
are the procedures I have followed till now.

Details:
Host machine(Host) – It has Windows XP Operating System, and Microsoft
Loopback Adapter installed.

Virtual Machine1(VM1) – It has Windows XP with 512 RAM and Microsoft
Loopback Adapter installed.

Virtual Machine2(VM2) – It has Windows XP with 256 RAM and Microsoft
Loopback Adapter installed.

In Both VM machines, Network Settings modified for Adapter1 which is
Microsoft Loopback Adapter.

Host machine: In this machine, I have assigned given below IP(private/non
route) and Subnet in TCP/IP properties of Microsoft Loopback adapter under
Network Connections.

IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

For VM1 and VM2 machines TCP/IP properties modified with below IP and subnet
for Loopback Adapter.

VM1: IP 192.168.1.2 , subnet 255.255.255.0
VM2: IP 192.168.1.3 , subnet 255.255.255.0

In Host, VM1 and VM2 machines, Local Area Connection for Loopback Adapter
says 'connected' but when I tried to ping among these three machines with
their IP address, I'm not getting response.

Am I followed right procedures to communicate my VM1, VM2 machine with host
machine ?? If not kindly let me know. Basically I would these three machines
VM1,VM2 and host needs to be communicated via Microsoft Loopback adapter.

Thanks,
Deva
From: Bo Berglund on
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 08:58:01 -0800, Deva
<Deva(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I�m trying to communicate Virtual PCs(2007) together with help of Microsoft
>Loopback Adapter in Windows XP(host machine), But I could not make it. Here
>are the procedures I have followed till now.
>
>Details:
>Host machine(Host) � It has Windows XP Operating System, and Microsoft
>Loopback Adapter installed.
>
>Virtual Machine1(VM1) � It has Windows XP with 512 RAM and Microsoft
>Loopback Adapter installed.
>
>Virtual Machine2(VM2) � It has Windows XP with 256 RAM and Microsoft
>Loopback Adapter installed.
>
>In Both VM machines, Network Settings modified for Adapter1 which is
>Microsoft Loopback Adapter.
>
>Host machine: In this machine, I have assigned given below IP(private/non
>route) and Subnet in TCP/IP properties of Microsoft Loopback adapter under
>Network Connections.
>
>IP: 192.168.1.1
>Subnet: 255.255.255.0
>
>For VM1 and VM2 machines TCP/IP properties modified with below IP and subnet
>for Loopback Adapter.
>
>VM1: IP 192.168.1.2 , subnet 255.255.255.0
>VM2: IP 192.168.1.3 , subnet 255.255.255.0
>
>In Host, VM1 and VM2 machines, Local Area Connection for Loopback Adapter
>says �connected� but when I tried to ping among these three machines with
>their IP address, I�m not getting response.
>
>Am I followed right procedures to communicate my VM1, VM2 machine with host
>machine ?? If not kindly let me know. Basically I would these three machines
>VM1,VM2 and host needs to be communicated via Microsoft Loopback adapter.
>
>Thanks,
>Deva

You are wrong.....

You do *not* use the loopback adapter in the *guests* ever!
The only PC that needs the loopback adapter is the *host*
Procedure:

1) Create a loopback adapter in the *host* and set it to a fixed
address like you have above.

2) In the VPC settings for both guests set the networking to point to
"Local Only". This makes the virtual network private.

3) Inside each guest set the IP address of the Ethernet NIC (*not* the
loopback adapter) to the values shown above.

Now you should be able to ping between the guests and also to the host
and back.

But your guests will not be able to reach the Internet and any other
PC on the outside physical network will be unable to reach the guests.
They are in effect on a completely isolated network.

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)