From: Bo Berglund on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 09:51:23 -0700 (PDT), SlickRCBD
<slickrcbdnews(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On an unrelated note, is there anything similar that I can use to make
>a Windows 98SE install cd from the setup files in the c:\windows
>\options\cabs on my old Dell optiplex gx110? I don't have a working
>restore cd for it and need one. I've made a backup of the hard drive
>onto a virtual pc setup as I don't have any imaging software at home,
>but would feel better if I could make a clean install from a cd if
>necessary.
>
>It seems nlite is only for NT based Windows.

No, you cannot make a seti�p disk from that data. It simply does not
contain enaough info.
You are probably looking in the right direction thinking about cloning
the PC to a virtual computer though.

What you can do depends on your needs:

1) You can huse the DISK2VHD utility from Microsoft to migrate the
physical computer to a virtual computer. Download the utility here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

2) Or you can use the VMWARE Converter to convert your existing
physical computer to a virtual one possible to load into VMWARE
Player.
Player is available here: http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
Converter is available here: http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/
you need to download the standalone version (free).
THis works very well indeed for XP level PC:s but I have t�not tested
it on Win95 type PC:s..

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: wonderwhy on
On 5/27/2010 1:32 AM, Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Tue, 25 May 2010 09:51:23 -0700 (PDT), SlickRCBD
> <slickrcbdnews(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On an unrelated note, is there anything similar that I can use to make
>> a Windows 98SE install cd from the setup files in the c:\windows
>> \options\cabs on my old Dell optiplex gx110? I don't have a working
>> restore cd for it and need one. I've made a backup of the hard drive
>> onto a virtual pc setup as I don't have any imaging software at home,
>> but would feel better if I could make a clean install from a cd if
>> necessary.
>>
>> It seems nlite is only for NT based Windows.
>
> No, you cannot make a seti�p disk from that data. It simply does not
> contain enaough info.

Sure it does. Everything is there to install Windows. All he needs is a
boot disk.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Is this possible?