From: Dennis Wicks on
Greetings;

I just installed VBox 2.0.6 from their web site and it won't
start.

I did remove all VBox 1.6.6 things with Synaptic first and
then used dpkg -i to install the .deb file from the VBox site.

When I try to run VirtualBox I get

VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain:
dlopen("/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so",) failed:
/usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol:
FT_Select_Size

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Many TIA!
Dennis

Dennis Wicks wrote:
> I just installed VBox 2.0.6 from their web site and it won't start.
>
> I did remove all VBox 1.6.6 things with Synaptic first and then used
> dpkg -i to install the .deb file from the VBox site.
>
> When I try to run VirtualBox I get
>
> VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain:
> dlopen("/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so",) failed:
> /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol:
> FT_Select_Size
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this?
Install 2.0.6 from Debian experimental.

Ukrainian C++ developer, Debian APT contributor

From: Dennis Wicks on
Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote the following on 12/14/2008 08:51 AM:
> Dennis Wicks wrote:
>> I just installed VBox 2.0.6 from their web site and it won't start.
>>
>> I did remove all VBox 1.6.6 things with Synaptic first and then used
>> dpkg -i to install the .deb file from the VBox site.
>>
>> When I try to run VirtualBox I get
>>
>> VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain:
>> dlopen("/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so",) failed:
>> /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol:
>> FT_Select_Size
>>
>> Any ideas on how to fix this?
> Install 2.0.6 from Debian experimental.

OK, Thanks for that tip!

I did that. Now I get a message

Could not find VirtualBox installation.
Please reinstall.

Now what is wrong now, I wonder??

TIA again,
Dennis

On Sunday 14 December 2008 06:39 pm, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote the following on 12/14/2008 08:51 AM:
> > Dennis Wicks wrote:
> >> I just installed VBox 2.0.6 from their web site and it won't start.
> >>
> >> I did remove all VBox 1.6.6 things with Synaptic first and then used
> >> dpkg -i to install the .deb file from the VBox site.
> >>
> >> When I try to run VirtualBox I get
> >>
> >> VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain:
> >> dlopen("/usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.so",) failed:
> >> /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol:
> >> FT_Select_Size
> >>
> >> Any ideas on how to fix this?
> >
> > Install 2.0.6 from Debian experimental.
>
> OK, Thanks for that tip!
>
> I did that. Now I get a message
>
> Could not find VirtualBox installation.
> Please reinstall.
>
> Now what is wrong now, I wonder??

Just asking the obvious....Did you remove all traces of the old install before
doing the new install?