From: Bernard on
Hi to Everyone !

I surely made a mistake trying to install 'audacity v1.3.8 beta'.
Someone told me that this new beta version was really different from
earlier releases, so I wanted to test it.

Since 'apt-get install audacity' told me that my already installed 1.3.5
beta version was the last version available, I decided to try 'testing'
directories in my /etc/apt/sources.list. This and the apt-get update
being done, I renewed my attempt with apt-get install. This time, it did
start to install v1.3.8 of audacity. But I encountered a problem !
Before the end of install process, I got this message :

"
Configuring libc6
Running services and programs that are using NSS need to be restarted,
otherwise they might not be able to do lookup or authentication any
more. The installation process is able to restart some services (such as
ssh or telnetd), but other programs cannot be restarted automatically.
One such program that needs manual stopping and restart after the glibc
update by yourself is xdm - because automatic restart might disconnect
your active X11 sessions.
This script detected the following installed services which must be
stopped before the upgrade : gdm
If you want to interrupt the upgrade now and continue later, please
answer no to the question below.

Do you want to upgrade glibc now ?
"

I replied 'no', and, so far, I have not attempted to continue this
install process of 'audacity' and the upgrade of glibc. My
/etc/apt/sources.list have been restaured to what it was before, that is :

deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main

deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main

and I did an 'apt-get update' too.

Ever since then, I am encountering problems and error messages when
trying to install something. For instance, if I do :

#apt-get install gphoto2

the install process starts... then :

"
Can't exec "locale": no file or directory of this type at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 16.
Use of uninitialized value $Debconf::Encoding::charmap in scalar chomp
at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 17.
dpkg : � ldconfig � not found in the variable PATH.
dpkg: 1 expected program not found in the variable PATH.
NB : the variable PATH of the superuser should contain /usr/local/sbin,
/usr/sbin et /sbin.

I got something similar when trying to install flashplugin.

Should I go finish the upgrade of libc6 which I interrupted before the
end as explained above ? On the contrary, would I be better cancelling
the previous unfinished job (but how to cancel it ?) and go back to libc5 ?

Thanks in advance for your help

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 20:26:06 +0200, Bernard wrote:
> I surely made a mistake trying to install 'audacity v1.3.8 beta'.

[...]

> Since 'apt-get install audacity' told me that my already installed
> 1.3.5 beta version was the last version available, I decided to try
> 'testing' directories in my /etc/apt/sources.list. This and the
> apt-get update being done, I renewed my attempt with apt-get
> install. This time, it did start to install v1.3.8 of audacity. But
> I encountered a problem ! Before the end of install process, I got
>
> "
> Configuring libc6

[...]

> Do you want to upgrade glibc now ?
> "
>
> I replied 'no', and, so far, I have not attempted to continue this
> install process of 'audacity' and the upgrade of glibc.

[...]

> Ever since then, I am encountering problems and error messages when
> trying to install something. For instance, if I do :
>
> #apt-get install gphoto2
>
> the install process starts... then :
>
> "
> Can't exec "locale": no file or directory of this type at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 16.
> Use of uninitialized value $Debconf::Encoding::charmap in scalar
> chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 17.
> dpkg : « ldconfig » not found in the variable PATH.
> dpkg: 1 expected program not found in the variable PATH.
> NB : the variable PATH of the superuser should contain
> /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin et /sbin.

/usr/bin/locale and especially /sbin/ldconfig are important programs
which are part of the libc-bin package. Your aborted libc6 upgrade seems
to have removed this package (and possibly others), or something is
wrong with your $PATH.

Please post the output of this command

dpkg -l libc6\* libc-\* | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'

so that we can see the status of libc-related packages on your system.

Florian |

Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 20:26:06 +0200, Bernard wrote:
>
>> I surely made a mistake trying to install 'audacity v1.3.8 beta'.
>>

> [...]
>

>> Since 'apt-get install audacity' told me that my already installed
>> 1.3.5 beta version was the last version available, I decided to try
>> 'testing' directories in my /etc/apt/sources.list. This and the
>> apt-get update being done, I renewed my attempt with apt-get
>> install. This time, it did start to install v1.3.8 of audacity. But
>> I encountered a problem ! Before the end of install process, I got
>>
>> "
>> Configuring libc6
>>

> [...]
>

>> Do you want to upgrade glibc now ?
>> "
>>
>> I replied 'no', and, so far, I have not attempted to continue this
>> install process of 'audacity' and the upgrade of glibc.
>>

> [...]
>

>> Ever since then, I am encountering problems and error messages when
>> trying to install something. For instance, if I do :
>>
>> #apt-get install gphoto2
>>
>> the install process starts... then :
>>
>> "
>> Can't exec "locale": no file or directory of this type at
>> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 16.
>> Use of uninitialized value $Debconf::Encoding::charmap in scalar
>> chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 17.
>> dpkg : � ldconfig � not found in the variable PATH.
>> dpkg: 1 expected program not found in the variable PATH.
>> NB : the variable PATH of the superuser should contain
>> /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin et /sbin.
>> E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
>>

> /usr/bin/locale and especially /sbin/ldconfig are important programs
> which are part of the libc-bin package. Your aborted libc6 upgrade seems
> to have removed this package (and possibly others), or something is
> wrong with your $PATH.
>
> Please post the output of this command
> dpkg -l libc6\* libc-\* | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'
>
> so that we can see the status of libc-related packages on your system.

Here it is :

new-host:/home/bd# dpkg -l libc6\* libc-\* | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'
Souhait=inconnU/Install�/suppRim�/Purg�/H=� garder
rc libc-bin 2.9-25
un libc-dev <n�ant>
ii libc6 2.7-18
ii libc6-dev 2.7-18
ii libc6-i686 2.7-18
un libc6.1 <n�ant>
new-host:/home/bd#

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 00:09:07 +0200, Bernard wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 20:26:06 +0200, Bernard wrote:
>
> >>Before the end of install process, I got
> >>
> >>"
> >>Configuring libc6
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >>Do you want to upgrade glibc now ?
> >>"
> >>
> >>I replied 'no', and, so far, I have not attempted to continue this
> >>install process of 'audacity' and the upgrade of glibc.
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >>Ever since then, I am encountering problems and error messages when
> >>trying to install something. For instance, if I do :
> >>
> >>#apt-get install gphoto2
> >>
> >>the install process starts... then :
> >>
> >>"
> >>Can't exec "locale": no file or directory of this type at
> >>/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 16.
> >>Use of uninitialized value $Debconf::Encoding::charmap in scalar
> >>chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 17.
> >>dpkg : « ldconfig » not found in the variable PATH.
> >>dpkg: 1 expected program not found in the variable PATH.
> >>NB : the variable PATH of the superuser should contain
> >>/usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin et /sbin.
> >>E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
> >
> >/usr/bin/locale and especially /sbin/ldconfig are important programs
> >which are part of the libc-bin package. Your aborted libc6 upgrade seems
> >to have removed this package (and possibly others), or something is
> >wrong with your $PATH.
> >
> >Please post the output of this command
> >dpkg -l libc6\* libc-\* | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'
> >
> >so that we can see the status of libc-related packages on your system.
> Here it is :
>
> new-host:/home/bd# dpkg -l libc6\* libc-\* | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'
> Souhait=inconnU/Installé/suppRimé/Purgé/H=à garder
> rc libc-bin 2.9-25
> un libc-dev <néant>
> ii libc6 2.7-18
> ii libc6-dev 2.7-18
> ii libc6-i686 2.7-18
> un libc6.1 <néant>

That does not look too bad on first glance, you seem to have the Lenny
versions of the libc6* packages installed, and the testing version of
libc-bin was removed again. In that case /sbin/ldconfig should still be
part of libc6 itself. What do you get from:

file /sbin/ldconfig

dpkg -L libc6 | grep ldconfig

echo $PATH

(the last one as root)

Florian |

Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 00:09:07 +0200, Bernard wrote:
>
>> Florian Kulzer wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> /usr/bin/locale and especially /sbin/ldconfig are important programs
>>> which are part of the libc-bin package. Your aborted libc6 upgrade seems
>>> to have removed this package (and possibly others), or something is
>>> wrong with your $PATH.
>>>
>>> Please post the output of this command
>>> dpkg -l libc6\* libc-\* | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'
>>>
>>> so that we can see the status of libc-related packages on your system.
>>>
>> Here it is :
>>
>> new-host:/home/bd# dpkg -l libc6\* libc-\* | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'
>> Souhait=inconnU/Install�/suppRim�/Purg�/H=� garder
>> rc libc-bin 2.9-25
>> un libc-dev <n�ant>
>> ii libc6 2.7-18
>> ii libc6-dev 2.7-18
>> ii libc6-i686 2.7-18
>> un libc6.1 <n�ant>
>>

> That does not look too bad on first glance, you seem to have the Lenny
> versions of the libc6* packages installed, and the testing version of
> libc-bin was removed again. In that case /sbin/ldconfig should still be
> part of libc6 itself. What do you get from:
>
> file /sbin/ldconfig
>
> dpkg -L libc6 | grep ldconfig
>
> echo $PATH
>
> (the last one as root)

Here is what I get :

file /sbin/ldconfig
/sbin/ldconfig: ERROR: cannot open `/sbin/ldconfig' (No such file or directory)

dpkg -L libc6 | grep ldconfig
(it just returns the shell, nothing else)

root(a)new-host:/home/bd# echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin