From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Doug R" <scootersite(a)NOSPAMhotmail.com>

| Apologies again, I'm not very computer literate. What is the
| difference between crossposting and multiposting?

No problem, we all learn at one stage or another :-)

When you Multi-Post you create multiple posts to multiple news groups with the same
content.

When you Cross-Post you create one post to multiple news groups with the that content.

Thus, all replies get seen in all the groups it was posted to.

What you do is put BOTH alt.comp.virus and alt.comp.anti-virus on the line (and any
other related groups) for what news groups you want to post to.

You are using Forte Agent 1.91/32.564 which I am not familiar with so I can't give you
specific instructions but basically what you would do is create a post to a group such as
this one ( alt.comp.virus ) and on the line where it shows what groups it will go to add
other groups such as alt.comp.antivirus separated by a delimiter such as the comma ",".

I use OE/WinMail with Fidolook and in the "Newsgroups:" field I enter;
alt.comp.virus,alt.comp.anti-virus

--
Dave

From: ~BD~ on

"Doug R" <scootersite(a)NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message

| Apologies again, I'm not very computer literate. What is the
| difference between crossposting and multiposting?

See: http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

HTH

--
Dave

From: David Kaye on
Doug R <scootersite(a)NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello All,
>Some months back I was infected by some virus but running Malwarebytes
>and other anti virus programs cleaned it up......

You've already asked this elsewhere; no need to repeat.

From: David Kaye on
Doug R <scootersite(a)NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>Sorry about the multi post but I wasn't sure which group was more
>appropriate. I'll be more careful in the future.

Just CROSSPOST if you want to reach multiple newsgroups. Don't repeat the
same message in each newsgroup.

From: David W. Hodgins on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 18:04:01 -0400, ASCII <me2(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> David H. Lipman wrote:
>>
>> Thus, all replies get seen in all the groups it was posted to.
>
> If the respondents select to respond to 'all' groups rather than the solitary
> group they're reading in at the time, at least that's the option Opera gives.

The "Reply all" with opera, will send a usenet reply to all of the
listed newsgroups, and an email to the from address.

It's a good idea to delete that button from the tool menu.

The regular reply button will include all of the listed newsgroups
as well, not just the one currently being read. When a properly
cross posted message is marked read/deleted, that applies to all
of the newsgroups it's in, so the user only sees it once.

Regards, Dave Hodgins