From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"ship" <shiphen(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

FTR said [some stuff]

[...]

> You can attempt to fix your computer by using the various antimalware
> programs available, but if you want to feel confident about the
> results
> it is best to restore to factory specifications and rebuild from
> there.
> My gut feeling, in view of how many things were reportedly found, is
> that safe practices were not in place on this computer - all the more
> reason to flatten and rebuild at this point.

[...]

> Personally, I feel that you should familiarize yourself
> with the use of the restore partition and getting the
> updates installed.

....and then you - "ship" said...

Ok... one thing though - what is to stop a virus from infecting all
your previous restore points? ...

***
Don't confuse "Restore Points" with the EISA restore partition. These
are totally different things.
***

.... (not to mention the restore process itself...)

***
This is known to have happened (not infection specifically, but
interference nonetheless).
***

I am certainly leaning toward a complete flatten plus rebuild.

(I remain nervous that reinstalling msWindowsXP may prove hard even
though I have a valid Product Key on the back... but shall probably
risk it anyhow!)

[...]

***
After several attempts to install and dual boot Linux/Windows XP on this
laptop, I finally gave up. I figured I'd just use an XP Pro CD that I
had to reinstall XP. I discovered the "Access IBM" button brought up the
option to restore from the hidden partition.

Easy as falling off a log - as they say.

Afterward, to avoid having to go through the update process (service
packs) in the future, I imaged the harddrive (with MaxBlast - powered by
Acronis) so I could recover more easily the next time. I *still* have
the EISA partition intact even though I probably won't need to use it
again.
***