From: ship on
On Jan 20, 6:58 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: Seehttp://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#stepsand/or Method 1 inhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307
>
> After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
> take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
> the machine to the internet or a network and before using a flash drive or
> SDCard that isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:
>
>      4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
>      http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx
>
> Other helpful references include:
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
> (after a clean install)http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5...
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
> clean install)http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg...
>
> Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
> manually:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029
>
> NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
> when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
> reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial and download/run the
> appropriate removal tool before installing any updates, Windows Service
> Packs or IE upgrades and before installing your new anti-virus application
> (which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).
>
>      Norton Removal Tool
>      ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_...
>
>      McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
>      http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCP...
>
> Also see:
>
> Steps To Help Prevent Spywarehttp://www.microsoft.com/security/spyware/prevent.aspx
>
> Steps to Help Prevent Computer Wormshttp://www.microsoft.com/security/worms/prevent.aspx
>
> Avoid Rogue Security Software!http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/rogue.aspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002www.banthecheck.com
>

> ship wrote:
> > Hi
>
> > My T60 (WindowsXP Pro)  has been infected with several viruses.
>
> > Is it safe to re-install from the WindowsXP partition?
>
> > Or should I kill absolutely everything on the disk (eg. by running
> > KillDisk off a CD)?
>
> > And if I do the latter, how on earth to I register it with Microsoft
> > because the laptop did not come with any CDs.
> > (I can borrow a Windows XP Pro CD from work - but I presume that there
> > will be problems with the Product Key and License number etc)
>
> > Any thoughts?
>
> > With thanks
>
> > Ship- Hide quoted text -

All helpful suggestions, but nobody seems to have answered my central
questions:
A). Do I need to delete the special WindowXP installation partition?
i.e. is it theoretically possible for a virus to get into it? And

B). How am I supposed to reinstall WindowsXP correctly without it?

With thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
ship wrote:
> [...]
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> ship wrote:
>>> Hi
>>
>>> My T60 (WindowsXP Pro) has been infected with several viruses.
>>
>>> Is it safe to re-install from the WindowsXP partition?
>>
>>> Or should I kill absolutely everything on the disk (eg. by running
>>> KillDisk off a CD)?
>>
>>> And if I do the latter, how on earth to I register it with Microsoft
>>> because the laptop did not come with any CDs.
>>> (I can borrow a Windows XP Pro CD from work - but I presume that there
>>> will be problems with the Product Key and License number etc)
>>

> All helpful suggestions, but nobody seems to have answered my central
> questions:
> A). Do I need to delete the special WindowXP installation partition?
> i.e. is it theoretically possible for a virus to get into it?

Assuming you're referring to the hidden Recovery partition: No & it's a
very, very remote possibility

From: ship on
Well I spoke to Lenovo and they want to sting me for GBP 40.00 for an
installation disk.
I refuse point blank to do this partly as a matter of principle and
partly because it will
proably take a while for the CD to arrive by post.

I have dug out the number from Control Panel > System > General Tab
which looks like this

99999-OEM-9999999-99999

(except with actual numbers instead of "9"s)

I also spoke to Microsoft who were extremely insistant that using a
different CD would
definitely fail to work (I suspect that they are probably fibbing).

Apparently I will to give them an "Installation ID" (9 groups of 6
digits), and they will then need to give me
a "Confirmation ID"

I've not followed any of the links above yet - will they be able to
generate a "Product Key" or
"Confirmation ID" ?

I am slightly hazy about what all these "IDs" and "Keys" are and where
and when they are
required by WindowsXP. The spare CD I have comes from my old PC. It
is definitely a
genuine Windows XP Professional CD, and I have the product key for
*it* (but I presume
that it wont work...) Wait a minute - *yes* on the back of the Lenovo
Laptop is indeed
a "product key", and with 5 groups of 5 characters. Looks promising :)

Is there anything else that I need to do ?

i.e. do I still need the likes of
http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
or do I now have the information that I need?

* * *

But as some of you imply, MAYBE there is not need to format the
Windows installation parition.
But just how hard can it be for a virus to write to a hidden
partition? NOT hard I would imagine.
If I was writing a virus that is exactly the sort of thing I would get
it to do to ensure that it
survived a re-formatting of the C: drive... but what do I know?

Ship (OP)

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "ship" <shiphen(a)gmail.com>

< snip >

| But as some of you imply, MAYBE there is not need to format the
| Windows installation parition.
| But just how hard can it be for a virus to write to a hidden
| partition? NOT hard I would imagine.
| If I was writing a virus that is exactly the sort of thing I would get
| it to do to ensure that it
| survived a re-formatting of the C: drive... but what do I know?

| Ship (OP)

There 'ya go again saying "virus" and you still haven't provided that information.

So I now repeat...
What "viruses" (assuming they were viruses and not plain old trojans) were they ?

--
Dave

From: ship on
On Jan 20, 8:50 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
wrote:
> From: "ship" <ship...(a)gmail.com>
>
> < snip >
>
> | But as some of you imply, MAYBE there is not need to format the
> | Windows installation parition.
> | But just how hard can it be for a virus to write to a hidden
> | partition? NOT hard I would imagine.
> | If I was writing a virus that is exactly the sort of thing I would get
> | it to do to ensure that it
> | survived a re-formatting of the C: drive... but what do I know?
>
> | Ship (OP)
>
> There 'ya go again saying "virus" and you still haven't provided that information.
>
> So I now repeat...
> What "viruses" (assuming they were viruses and not plain old trojans) were they ?
>
> --
> Davehttp://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> Multi-AV -http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Well here is a selection of what was reported - but the came so thick
and fast I didnt
take note of them all:

AVAST:
Win32:Tibs-AFH [Trj] C:\documents and settings\XXXX\local settings
\temp\X1Server\U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has kicked
German Chancellor Angela Merkel.msg
Win32:Tibs-AFX [Trj] C:\documents and settings\XXXX\local settings
\temp\X1Server\The Kiss.msg
Win32:Tibs-AFX [Trj] C:\documents and settings\XXXX\local settings
\temp\X1Server\The Kiss.msg
Win32:Tibs-AGA [Wrm] C:\documents and settings\XXXX\local settings
\temp\X1Server\Forever in Love.msg
Win32:Tibs-AIE [Trj] C:\documents and settings\XXXX\local settings
\temp\X1Server\I Would Give you Anything.msg
Win32:Tibs-AFH [Trj]

MSE:
Nuwar.N(a)mm!CME-711 C:\DOCUME~1\ALECST~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_avast4_
\unp28372.tmp

Trojan: Win32/Vxidl.gen!B File:C:\DOCUME~1\ALECST~1\LOCALS~1\Temp
\_avast4_\unp69768409.tmp
Trojan: Win32/Vxidl.gen!dam File:C:\DOCUME~1\ALECST~1\LOCALS~1\Temp
\_avast4_\unp142407802.tmp

Win32:Small-JBK [Trj] C:\documents and settings\XXXX\local settings
\temp\X1Server\Sadam Hussein safe and sound!.msg
Win32:Tibs-AFA [Trj] C:\documents and settings\XXXX\local settings
\temp\X1Server\Happy World Religion Day!.msg
Win32:Tibs-AFP [Trj] C:\documents and settings\XXXX\local settings
\temp\X1Server\I Love Thee.msg

Win32:Tibs-AFX [Trj] C:\documents and settings\XXXX\local settings
\temp\X1Server\The Kiss.msg
Win32:Tibs-AFX [Trj] C:\documents and settings\XXXX\local settings
\temp\X1Server\Unmatchable Beauty.msg
Win32:Tibs-AGA [Wrm] C:\documents and settings\XXXX\local settings
\temp\X1Server\Forever in Love.msg

MSE:
Backdoor:Win32/Ryknos.BC (Alert level: *Severe")

AVAST:
Win32:Small-JBK [Trj] C:\documents and settings\XXXX\local settings
\temp\X1Server\Sadam Hussein safe and sound!.msg
Win32:Tibs-AFA [Trj] C:\documents and settings\XXXX\local settings
\temp\X1Server\Happy World Religion Day!.msg
Win32:Tibs-AFP [Trj] C:\documents and settings\XXXX\local settings
\temp\X1Server\I Love Thee.msg

MSE:
Backdoor:Win32/Ryknos.BC (Alert level: *Severe") file:C:\Documents and
Settings\XXXX\Local Settings\Temp\ARC70F.tmp
Worm:Win32/Mtob.NP(a)mm (Alert level: *Severe") file:C:\Documents and
Settings\XXXX\Local Settings\Temp\ARC1405.tmp Description: This
program is dangerous and self-propagates over a network connection.
Backdoor:Win32/Ryknos.BC [AGAIN] (Alert level: *Severe") file:C:
\Documents and Settings\XXXX\Local Settings\Temp\ARC1B59.tmp
Worm:Win32/Mtob.NP(a)mm file:C:\Documents and Settings\XXXX\Local
Settings\Temp\ARC285D.tmp

Does that help?

Ship