From: Daave on
Roger wrote:
> Hi
> A friend had new laptop with Windows 7 loaded and also trial version
> 30day of Mc afee. Which they want removed, as I will be loading
> another make. Some of these programs leave files behind after
> add-remove has been used. Any advice in this direction I should be
> aware of, before I load another anti Virus program
>
> Regards Roger

Roger, you posted your question to an XP newsgroup!

That being said, I can tell you how to remove McAfee for XP. The tool
mentioned here needs to be downloaded and installed:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

I don't know if Windows 7 is supported. I am cross-posting to
microsoft.public.security.virus to see if others can answer
definitively.

From: Aiscer MVP on
This has been a known and long problem with any paid or free AV/AM program.
Some the services, drivers or components are left behind whenever its
uninstalled. This is one reason why the developers for these security
softwares created their own removal tool for any of their products.

Personally, I for a free AV/AM solution you may want to use Microsoft
Security Essentials. For a paid one you can try either ESET Smart Security
or NOD 32. Both of which are good AV/AM products that leave a small
footprint for your system resources and in the same time protects you
against all known Malware. Bear in mind also that there is really no 100%
security solution, instead its actually upon how you use your system.

One good advice would be this: http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

--

Jay Pilarta
MVP 2010 | Consumer Security