From: Shenan Stanley on
<snipped>
<link to the entire year+ old conversation included in response>

GrumpyOldGoat wrote:
> Shenan,
>
> Like Mr Kingsbury, I did a search for any problems related to my
> problems, and this is the one that comes the closest.
>
> I have windows Version 6 (Build 6002: Service pack2)
> Physical memory available to Windows: 8,386,876
>
> I have a quadcore AMD processor and an Nividia MB.
>
> I cannot install H&R Block tax software, nor any of the office 2003
> updates.
>
> I have ran the proscribed programs you suggested above.
>
> Reset the ose.exe to all possible options and rebooted after each
> change, and still get exactly the same error.
>
> For H&R Block I get " Error 1935. An error occurred during the
> installation of assembly component
> {76C3F0F6-9B9D-35DA-81C6-CA8A88CC93CA}.
> HRESULT: 0x80070003."
>
> And for the MS updates I consistently get the following codes:
> 652, 643, 80070643.
>
> While you may consider this to be off topic, and in the wrong
> place, we should not be required to sift through 39 million
> possible combinations of search phrases to find exactly the correct
> phrase.
>
> I did not purchase Vista 64 Home Premium so that I could become a
> master computer technician.
>
> I was beginning to get comfortable with MS DOS, when the introduced
> Windows. Through each version since then I have learned to make it
> work as well as possible.
> This is undoubtedly the most difficult version to work with so far.
>
> It updates daily and fails daily. Sometimes it allows installation
> of software, and sometimes it doesn't.
> Under the windows folder I have one subfolder with over 74,000
> files and subfolders apparently from 'updates' in only one year.
>
> I would sincerely appreciate some quality help without an attitude.

Shenan Stanley wrote:
<snipped extraneous conversation>
> What I know about your issue:
> You have Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 2.
> You have 8GB of physical memory.
> You have a quad-core (*shrug*) AMD processor and an NVidia
> motherboard (really - is it one of those small boxes?)
> You believe Windows Vista is the most difficult version of Windows
> you have used to date.
> Your updates are failing on you with error(s) 652, 643 and/or?
> 80070643. You did everything I suggested (and something extra with
> the Microsoft Office Source Engine I did not suggest.)
>
> You definitely provided plenty - but there are many fine people out
> there (just hard working honest people) who will see your posting
> has "Re:" in the subject line and may never look at it - just
> because it is a response - not a new problem to be conquered. Just
> letting you and everyone else know. If you think that is 'an
> attitude' thing - well - that's your right (and mistake IMHO - I am
> just trying to help someone else - someone I do not know, will
> likely never meet) - but it is just what I see wnd what I know
> others do after years of being around here.
> So - looking at your problems and the problem you responded to:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&tid=11599acc-c400-4791-a8dd-f8faae8b2bde&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1
>
> Honestly - I do not get the similarity. ;-) If you started your
> own posting, it would make more sense - but now you are saying your
> problem is similar to this one - which confuses me since you made
> no mention of seeing the "Preparing to Install" windows update
> screen that never installs. You actually get failures. That's why
> it makes sense to start your own posting, IMO.
>
> Make sure your backups are CURRENT before you do anything.
>
> Have you gone to the H&R Block support page? Contacted them to see
> what they have to say the error, "Error 1935. An error occurred
> during the installation of assembly component
> {76C3F0F6-9B9D-35DA-81C6-CA8A88CC93CA}. HRESULT: 0x80070003." might
> mean when coming from their software?
>
> (Make sure your backups are CURRENT before you do anything,
> however.)
>
> Do you have a C:\Users\Default folder? (You may have to unhide
> files, allow yourself to see all system/hidden files to check for
> its existance.)
> (Make sure your backups are CURRENT before you do anything,
> however.)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942967/
> (Although you get the error when doing something else - could be
> your fix.)
>
> Try method 10 (Make sure your backups are CURRENT before you do
> anything, however.)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>
> Can you give a list of the updates that the system is wanting to
> install but cannot (by KB######)?

<snipped extraneous from GrumpyOldGoat's response>
GrumpyOldGoat wrote:
> (Grin) That's how I weed out the cranky people and get good
> help....
>
> I always have everything backed up. Well, except for that time
> when I.... oh never mind, it still hurts. The Intel chip died mid
> calculation....
>
> Here's the details.****************
>
> MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB927978)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927978
>
> Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB978474)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978474
>
> Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
> Package (KB973924)
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=158264
>
> Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter
> (KB979771)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979771
>
> H&R is not the only program that failed at the same point, with the
> same error code.
>
> The new HP printer, and ACDsee.
> No big loss there, I like the new Brother printer.
>
> With the same issue, with several different software producers, it
> looks like a windows issue.
</snipped extraneous from GrumpyOldGoat's response>

In addition to the suggestions I already made (C:\Users\Default exisiting
and method 10 of 822798)...

Re: 927978

Have you followed the suggested fixes from the link you gave?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927978

Specifically the section that starts:
"Known issues with this security update
- You may be repeatedly offered this update."

Removing and re-installing MSXML4 essentially?

Using something in that known issues section may clear up that problem
(maybe others.)

Re: 978474

First - let me point out the, "How to obtain help and support for this
security update" section of the link you give. It's free. ;-)

Do you have Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3) installed on the
computer? That is a pre-requisite and yes - you could be offered this
update without that being instaled. It would fail to install, however.
*grin*

Please verify you either have SP3 for Office XP installed (or not) and if
not, I suggest getting it installed. Download it and install it manually -
have your Office 2003 installation CD already in the CD drive.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=e25b7049-3e13-433b-b9d2-5e3c1132f206

You might re-install Office 2003 SP3 for good measure. It could be
something has corrupted some of your office files...

After verifying (and/or installing) SP3 for Office 2003 - then download and
install the update manually:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7E42793E-747B-48DA-968A-1EC29EA37151

Leave that Office 2003 CD in the drive... ;-)

Re: 973924

You currently have "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable
Package" installed? I ask because it clearly states, "This security update
cannot be applied to any other editions of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
Service Pack 1." and yes - I have seen people offered updates they have no
business being offered because of issues with their machines or the logic in
the update itself being flawed (keep reading - I'll point out something else
later.) ;-)

If you do have it installed - okay - fair enough. You can get free
Microsoft help with that one. See the, "How to obtain help and support for
this security update" section.

Before you do that (and it looks like half of the updates you are having
trouble with have this offer of free assistance from Microsoft), you might
ensure you have the latest Windows Installer and it is not corrupted by
reinstalling it to be sure...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4
(Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x64.msu)

You could also try downloading the update and installing manually:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2051a0c1-c9b5-4b0a-a8f5-770a549fd78c
(vcredist_x64.exe)

If you do not have "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable
Package" installed at all - I woud mark it hidden and ignore it from now on.

Something else I noticed that was interesting about this one - a section of
the article (under Revisions) that stated, "and that the update detection
logic for KB973923 and KB973924 has been revised to correct a package
re-offering issue" which tells me that at one point this update was
repeatedly offered to people and there was a problem on their end that was
corrected. However - it is possible you have downloaded and had the *bum*
version all this time and it is just repeating (method 10 of 822798 - done
that yet? *grin*)

Re: 979771

This one may be fixed by the previous Office cleanup - but... If not -
download it manually and install it:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=05259FDD-D094-47AE-9ADF-2D86CB68B1F1

This one *is not* as critical - thus no free support from Microsoft.

- When was the last time you ran a CHKDSK on your hard disk drive?
- What versions of the .NET Framework do you have installed?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Shenan Stanley on
<snipped>

Terry Heinz wrote:
> You snipped nothing you posted the whole previous post then
> followed up with a half dozen lines.

That was the original snip from my original response to GrumpyOldGoat - I
snipped all of the quoted stuff from GrumpyOldGoat's original post where
they quoted my response and Fred Kingsbury's response to a year+ old
posting - leaving only the GrumpyOldGoat's 'original' post and the relevant
parts of the conversation after that.

I quote all relevant material in a conversation - in the end you have a
complete conversation in my final posting with just (usually) the relevant
parts. You'll notice (in my re-quoted conversation above) there are several
more snips throughout...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: GrumpyOldGoat on

"Terry Heinz" wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 00:05:06 -0500, Shenan Stanley wrote:
>
> ><snipped>
>
> You snipped nothing you posted the whole previous post then followed up
> with a half dozen lines.
> --
>
> Terry Heinz.
> .
> Terry,
I instigated this conversation directly to Shenan.

WE got off on the wrong foot due to misunderstanding on how this board works.

Life is good on my end, and we are working on the issues.

Thanks for trying to help, but please don't drown my lifeguard.... ;=)