From: GrumpyOldGoat on

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Fred Kingsbury wrote:
> > The Preparing to install windows, always comes up, shuts down
> > programs and in general makes my computer useless
>
> Much like eggheadcafe.com and the changinging of the subject pretty much
> makes this newsgroup post useless. *sigh*
>
> Like to see the entire conversation you responded to/changed the subject of?
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&tid=11599acc-c400-4791-a8dd-f8faae8b2bde&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1
>
> So - let's start with *your* problem instead of this year-and-a-half-old
> posting you had nothing to do with.
>
> I could assume you changed the posting subject to reflect the OS you have
> (Vista 64-bit) or I could ask you to verify exactly what version of Windows
> Vista (if that is the OS you have) and edition you have. I will do the
> latter - so there is no misunderstanding.
>
> What version and edition of WIndows do you have?
>
> Please provide Operating system (edition and service pack level,
> the more detail, the better.):
>
> Start button --> RUN
> (no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
> --> type in:
> winver
> --> Click OK.
>
> The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
> (Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
> give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response to this message
> verbatim. ;-)
>
> Now that is out of the way...
>
> Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately) with the
> following two applications (freeware versions are the ones to use for this):
>
> SuperAntiSpyware
> http://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> MalwareBytes
> http://www.malwarebytes.com/
>
> After performing a full scan with one and then the other and removing
> whatever they both find completely, you may uninstall these products,
> if you wish.
>
> Download and run the MSRT manually:
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
>
> Reboot.
>
> That should all but ensure your system doesn't have any active malware
> (nothing is 100% - but those three things should help immensely.)
>
> If you do have 64-bit Vista - download and run this:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=f6f353c0-d00e-43e7-97ef-0feefc7ff064
>
> Reboot when it is done. Try your updating again.
>
> Come back here after you have done all that and give the information asked
> for. ;-)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>

> Shenan,

Like Mr Kingsbury, I did a search for any problems related to my problems,
and this is the one that comes the closest.

I have windows Version 6 (Build 6002: Service pack2)
Physical memory available to Windows: 8,386,876

I have a quadcore AMD processor and an Nividia MB.

I cannot install H&R Block tax software, nor any of the office 2003 updates.

I have ran the proscribed programs you suggested above.

Reset the ose.exe to all possible options and rebooted after each change,
and still get exactly the same error.

For H&R Block I get " Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation
of assembly component

{76C3F0F6-9B9D-35DA-81C6-CA8A88CC93CA}.

HRESULT: 0x80070003."

And for the MS updates I consistently get the following codes: 652, 643,
80070643.

While you may consider this to be off topic, and in the wrong place, we
should not be required to sift through 39 million possible combinations of
search phrases to find exactly the correct phrase.

I did not purchase Vista 64 Home Premium so that I could become a master
computer technician.

I was beginning to get comfortable with MS DOS, when the introduced Windows.
Through each version since then I have learned to make it work as well as
possible.
This is undoubtedly the most difficult version to work with so far.

It updates daily and fails daily. Sometimes it allows installation of
software, and sometimes it doesn't.
Under the windows folder I have one subfolder with over 74,000 files and
subfolders apparently from 'updates' in only one year.

I would sincerely appreciate some quality help without an attitude.

Thank You,

Drew Dickey

From: Shenan Stanley on
<snipped>
<link to the entire year+ old conversation included in response>

GrumpyOldGoat wrote:
> Shenan,
>
> Like Mr Kingsbury, I did a search for any problems related to my
> problems, and this is the one that comes the closest.
>
> I have windows Version 6 (Build 6002: Service pack2)
> Physical memory available to Windows: 8,386,876
>
> I have a quadcore AMD processor and an Nividia MB.
>
> I cannot install H&R Block tax software, nor any of the office 2003
> updates.
>
> I have ran the proscribed programs you suggested above.
>
> Reset the ose.exe to all possible options and rebooted after each
> change, and still get exactly the same error.
>
> For H&R Block I get " Error 1935. An error occurred during the
> installation of assembly component
> {76C3F0F6-9B9D-35DA-81C6-CA8A88CC93CA}.
> HRESULT: 0x80070003."
>
> And for the MS updates I consistently get the following codes:
> 652, 643, 80070643.
>
> While you may consider this to be off topic, and in the wrong
> place, we should not be required to sift through 39 million
> possible combinations of search phrases to find exactly the correct
> phrase.
>
> I did not purchase Vista 64 Home Premium so that I could become a
> master computer technician.
>
> I was beginning to get comfortable with MS DOS, when the introduced
> Windows. Through each version since then I have learned to make it
> work as well as possible.
> This is undoubtedly the most difficult version to work with so far.
>
> It updates daily and fails daily. Sometimes it allows installation
> of software, and sometimes it doesn't.
> Under the windows folder I have one subfolder with over 74,000
> files and subfolders apparently from 'updates' in only one year.
>
> I would sincerely appreciate some quality help without an attitude.

No one has asked you to 'sift through' anything or become a 'master computer
technician' - I implied (and am now pointing out) it is better for you and
those who might come across your posting to start a FRESH posting with the
information for your problem as opposed to the 'me too' thing.

I am trying to tell you and anyone else reading this that it is better to
ask your own question after looking for your answer and the suggested ways
of posting than to tack onto a year+ old posting that may have some of the
same look/feel as your issue.

That's just the way things are around here - it makes sense, has made sense
for years. Especially in the case of this posting with its age and not
quoting any of the original message (the one you are responding to, not
necessarily yours.)

You are responding to a posting you are where you may be seeing, in some
forum, something that has synchronized the entire conversation. Not
everyone sees the same thing. Some people will only see your response and
what you choose to leave quoted in your response. Not everything. It is
synchronized to likely hundreds of different servers around the world likely
being accessed in many different ways by probably hundreds of thousands of
individuals.

As far as 'quality help without attitude'... Although I don't consider my
posting given with any attitude, just the facts and queries one might need
to resolve their own issue and perhaps learn a little in the process about
their system and ways to get better responses/give better information about
their system when they need help; I feel I would be lax in my own
responsibilities if I didn't point out that this is a peer-to-peer
newsgroup. That means I may be doing the exact same thing in life as you.
I may not have anything to do with computers other than I use them for
something just like you do. Just people helping people. Expectations
should not be brought here. ;-)

No requirements, no limits. Two or more people having a conversation about
a problem and trying to assist each other through to a solution. It's also
in writing - any inflection/emotion you choose to put on it is just that,
emotion _you chose_ to put on it (unless otherwise noted... ;-) )

I never said this was 'off-topic' - I said it would be better to give
information about your problem - things specific to you and yours - not just
decide that problem is 'close enough' and tack onto it.

You have no idea if you did the same as Fred Kingsbury. We do not know if
they were searching the Internet and came across the post they responded to
or it happened to be the first thing they saw on the only web-based leechng
forum (eggheadcafe.com) they came across that was similar to the original
query made a year and a half prior or that if it wasn't the only way they
could figure out to post something *somewhere*. After all - all they said
windows, always comes up, shuts down programs and in general makes my
computer useless" --> Is that similar to your issue? Similar to your issue?
(No - it is not similar to your issue, as you actually described your issue
in pretty good detail.)

What I know about Fred Kingsbury's issue to this day:
Their computer is useless to them and they *might* have Windows Vista of
some flavor and architecture with some service pack installed (the latter
really just gleemed from where they decided to post - but since you can
search and see Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and all sorts of other
queries in this group - no guarantees.)

What I know about your issue:
You have Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 2.
You have 8GB of physical memory.
You have a quad-core (*shrug*) AMD processor and an NVidia motherboard
(really - is it one of those small boxes?)
You believe Windows Vista is the most difficult version of Windows you
have used to date.
Your updates are failing on you with error(s) 652, 643 and/or? 80070643.
You did everything I suggested (and something extra with the Microsoft
Office Source Engine I did not suggest.)

You definitely provided plenty - but there are many fine people out there
(just hard working honest people) who will see your posting has "Re:" in the
subject line and may never look at it - just because it is a response - not
a new problem to be conquered. Just letting you and everyone else know. If
you think that is 'an attitude' thing - well - that's your right (and
mistake IMHO - I am just trying to help someone else - someone I do not
know, will likely never meet) - but it is just what I see wnd what I know
others do after years of being around here.

So - looking at your problems and the problem you responded to:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&tid=11599acc-c400-4791-a8dd-f8faae8b2bde&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1

Honestly - I do not get the similarity. ;-) If you started your own
posting, it would make more sense - but now you are saying your problem is
similar to this one - which confuses me since you made no mention of seeing
the "Preparing to Install" windows update screen that never installs. You
actually get failures. That's why it makes sense to start your own posting,
IMO.

Make sure your backups are CURRENT before you do anything.

Have you gone to the H&R Block support page? Contacted them to see what
they have to say the error, "Error 1935. An error occurred during the
installation of assembly component {76C3F0F6-9B9D-35DA-81C6-CA8A88CC93CA}.
HRESULT: 0x80070003." might mean when coming from their software?

(Make sure your backups are CURRENT before you do anything, however.)

Do you have a C:\Users\Default folder? (You may have to unhide files, allow
yourself to see all system/hidden files to check for its existance.)
(Make sure your backups are CURRENT before you do anything, however.)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942967/
(Although you get the error when doing something else - could be your fix.)

Try method 10 (Make sure your backups are CURRENT before you do anything,
however.)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

Can you give a list of the updates that the system is wanting to install but
cannot (by KB######)?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: LD55ZRA on
Shenan Stanley wrote:

> it is better for you and
> those who might come across your posting to start a FRESH posting with the
> information for your problem as opposed to the 'me too' thing.

Why bother to reply if it is so painful to deal with EggHeadcafe
nutters. Ignore those posts and move on to something bigger, perhaps
better and hopefully very satisfying!!!
--

Harry Johnson <harry(a)scms.waikato.ac.nz> is a convicted paedophilia from
New Zealand and has been outed under Megan's Law. Please report him to

From: GrumpyOldGoat on

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]
> yourself to see all system/hidden files to check for its existance.)
> (Make sure your backups are CURRENT before you do anything, however.)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942967/
> (Although you get the error when doing something else - could be your fix.)
>
> Try method 10 (Make sure your backups are CURRENT before you do anything,
> however.)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798
>
> Can you give a list of the updates that the system is wanting to install but
> cannot (by KB######)?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>

> .
> (Grin) That's how I weed out the cranky people and get good help....

I always have everything backed up. Well, except for that time when I....
oh never mind, it still hurts. The Intel chip died mid calculation....

Here's the details.****************

MSXML 4.0 SP2 Security Update (KB927978)

Download size: 5.4 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

A vulnerability exists in Microsoft XML Core Services that could allow for
information disclosure because the XMLHTTP ActiveX control incorrectly
interprets an HTTP server-side redirect.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927978

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927978

Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB978474)

Download size: 4.9 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office Excel 2003 that could
allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This
update resolves that vulnerability.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978474

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package
(KB973924)

Download size: 743 KB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to
compromise your Windows-based system with Microsoft Visual C++ 2008
Redistributable Package and gain complete control over it. You can help
protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you
install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB979771)

Download size: 3.4 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

This update provides the Junk E-mail Filter in Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
with a more current definition of which e-mail messages should be considered
junk e-mail.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979771

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us

**********************

H&R is not the only program that failed at the same point, with the same
error code.
The new HP printer, and ACDsee.

No big loss there, I like the new Brother printer.

With the same issue, with several different software producers, it looks
like a windows issue.

Thanks for the help.
From: Shenan Stanley on
<snipped>

LD55ZRA wrote:
> Why bother to reply if it is so painful to deal with EggHeadcafe
> nutters. Ignore those posts and move on to something bigger,
> perhaps better and hopefully very satisfying!!!

1) I did not call anyone posting from/repying to EggHeadCafe posts any
names - it's not their fault EggHeadCafe is leeching older posts and/or that
they do not know any better routes to take. Thus when someone replies to
them and lets them know - some of them might change, others might read that
response later while looking for answers there and change to another venue
for answers. Teaching and learning - a loop. If that is not how it works
all the time, *shrug*, too bad. No big deal.

2) GrumpyOldGoat did not seem to use EggHeadCafe. "X-Newsreader: Microsoft
CDO for Windows 2000" would indicate the Microsoft Web Interface for the
newsgroups.

3) I never said either of these responses were painful. If you read that
into my postings for some reason, that is a mistake. I chose to reply this
time because it was to me directly, I thought I might be able to help with
the issue at hand and also educate on where some of GrumpyOldGoat's
conclusions and reasonings might need to be re-examined due to inaccurate or
incomplete information. Whether or not that re-examination occurs is out of
my hands and whether or not it changes the conclusions and reasonings is not
really a concern either. Each their own. As I said in #1, *shrug*, too
bad. No big deal.

We are all just filling in the time between birth and death. I like to
learn as much as I can and stay occupied.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP