From: veedee on
I am trying to install the Vista service pack 1 on my vista premium home
edition and it keeps failing with the 0x80070002 error. I have cleaned up
files and tried as error suggestions I still cannot seem to install it. I
have also used the system readiness tool. It would be very helpful to know
what the install is balking at.
From: Ǝиçεl on
Hello veedee,

Copied яesponse from PA Bear

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 has been
extended a third time & now runs through 10 August 2010. Some issues may
require more advanced support for which there is a charge.

• US:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• CA:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-ca&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• UK:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-gb&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• AU:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-au&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• Other:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&c1=509 |
select your Windows Vista version | select Service Pack 1 & the appropriate
Sub-topic (i.e., Download issue; Installation issue; Issues after you install
a service pack).

LOOK!! => Support for Vista Gold (no Service Packs) ends on 13 April 2010!
After that date, computers running Vista Gold will NOT be offered any further
critical security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and you will not
be able to update manually until SP1 or SP2 is installed.

What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean>

Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1):
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/Help/133c8953-c9cd-4fa5-8883-03e91bb6f2021033.mspx>

Error message when you try to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1:
"Installation was not successful" or "An internal error occurred while
installing the service pack"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366>

The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the
computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358>

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
How to troubleshoot Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 service pack
installation issues
[Errors 0x80070002; 0x8007000D; 0x80073712; 0x800B0100; & 0x8024200D]
[...]

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)