From: John Goche on

Hello,

I have managed to set up Vista + Ubuntu but I have
left some space at the end of the hard drive because
I want to install Fedora as well (mainly so that I can
develop both .deb and .rpm packages for what I think
are the two most popular Linux distributions around).

So, what I wanted to ask, I already have a boot loader
so I am not sure whether there will be any conflict or
whether there is anything to watch out for when I
install Fedora. Currently my hard disk consists of
(1) a recovery partition for Vista (2) a proper Vista
(3) a / partition for Ubuntu containing everything
(4) a 4GB swap partition and (5) free space at
the end of the disk I have set aside for Fedora.

Now the boot loader is on partition (3) but I
think if I install Fedora and do a single /
partition as I did for Ubuntu then I will
be getting a second boot loader but
I only need one.

Suggestions welcome,

Thanks for your help,

John Goche
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Oct 14, 1:36 pm, John Goche <johngoch...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have managed to set up Vista + Ubuntu but I have
> left some space at the end of the hard drive because
> I want to install Fedora as well (mainly so that I can
> develop both .deb and .rpm packages for what I think
> are the two most popular Linux distributions around).
>
> So, what I wanted to ask, I already have a boot loader
> so I am not sure whether there will be any conflict or
> whether there is anything to watch out for when I
> install Fedora. Currently my hard disk consists of
> (1) a recovery partition for Vista (2) a proper Vista
> (3) a / partition for Ubuntu containing everything
> (4) a 4GB swap partition and (5) free space at
> the end of the disk I have set aside for Fedora.
>
> Now the boot loader is on partition (3) but I
> think if I install Fedora and do a single /
> partition as I did for Ubuntu then I will
> be getting a second boot loader but
> I only need one.
>
> Suggestions welcome,
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> John Goche

Yes. Don't do this. Virtualize the guest operating systems: Vista and
Microsoft Virtual PC works fine for CentOS 4 and 5, and for recent
Fedora releases with the 'grub boot option of '"vga=0x32D noreplace-
paravirt". The vga-=0x32D provides a better text display, the
noreplace-paravirt is helpful with recent, automatically
paravirtualized kernels. Alternatively, Ubuntu supports the KVM
virtualization tool, and so does Fedora.

From: bzaman on
On Oct 14, 10:36 pm, John Goche <johngoch...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have managed to set up Vista + Ubuntu but I have
> left some space at the end of the hard drive because
> I want to install Fedora as well (mainly so that I can
> develop both .deb and .rpm packages for what I think
> are the two most popular Linux distributions around).
>
> So, what I wanted to ask, I already have a boot loader
> so I am not sure whether there will be any conflict or
> whether there is anything to watch out for when I
> install Fedora. Currently my hard disk consists of
> (1) a recovery partition for Vista (2) a proper Vista
> (3) a / partition for Ubuntu containing everything
> (4) a 4GB swap partition and (5) free space at
> the end of the disk I have set aside for Fedora.
>
> Now the boot loader is on partition (3) but I
> think if I install Fedora and do a single /
> partition as I did for Ubuntu then I will
> be getting a second boot loader but
> I only need one.

I feel it should not be a problem . Boot Loaders like grub (default
in most of the distributions) are intelligent. If you install fedora ,
then the boot loader for fedora will detect the other operating
systems and it will ask you whether you want to add the other OS to
the boot list . You can also avoid installing the boot loader and
just install fedora. Later boot up using Ubuntu and modify the grub
configuration file to add information about the other OS that you have
just installed . This should help you to have 3 os in the boot list
menu.

Of course safe method is to run the other OS using virtualization .

Hope this helps :)

> Suggestions welcome,
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> John Goche

--Zaman
From: Hans-Peter Diettrich on
bzaman schrieb:

> Later boot up using Ubuntu and modify the grub
> configuration file to add information about the other OS that you have
> just installed . This should help you to have 3 os in the boot list
> menu.

I've just installed Ubuntu and would like to change the boot options
back to my old defaults. Unfortunately Ubuntu doesn't offer according
means. On my SuSE I tried to update grub accordingly, but I dunno where
Ubuntu placed its grub :-(

DoDi
From: terryc on
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 15:48:30 +0200, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> bzaman schrieb:
>
>> Later boot up using Ubuntu and modify the grub configuration file to
>> add information about the other OS that you have just installed . This
>> should help you to have 3 os in the boot list menu.

I thought you just had to run a grub update to have it autho do this?
(caveat late to conversation)

> I've just installed Ubuntu and would like to change the boot options
> back to my old defaults. Unfortunately Ubuntu doesn't offer according
> means. On my SuSE I tried to update grub accordingly, but I dunno where
> Ubuntu placed its grub :-(

It isn't in /boot/grub? (location in debian linx that ubuntu derives from)

Note grub 1 and grub 2 have different files