From: markjones71 on
Ok, I didn't realise I hadn't given enough info - sorry!

- Vista 32-bit SP2

- Norton is installed and is current;
- According to the Windows Security Centre only Norton anti-spyware is
activated and the only other installed anti-spyware is Windows defender but
that is off;
- The same is true for the firewall - Norton On, Defender Off. No others
installed.
- Looking through the control panel I cannot find any other anti-spyware or
firewall programs other than Norton.

Norton was pre-installed on my computer and I don't remember any others
every being installed.

Up until the last (most recent) Windows update everything has been fine and
I have been able to both see, download and install updates. This problem has
only come about since the last lot of updates - perhaps the computer crashed
during that update?

Does that help further? I really appreciate your help with this...

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Do Steps #1 through #8 in the Answer post (mine) in this thread:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/d5e059b4-5b4a-4c70-876f-87ba4b2c7726
(ignore the subject of the thread)

From: markjones71 on
Thanks, I've done this twice but it hasn't fixed the problem. I still get the
same error when I check for updates.

Not sure if it is relevant but the url you gave for the clean install no
longer exists - but on restarting after using the removal tool a web browser
is automatically opened with a list of norton products to reinstall. When I
choose the relevant product and install, it recognises my product key and
therefore doesn't ask me for it.

Is it worth removing Norton altogether and replacing with the free version
of AVG?

Do you have any other ideas as to what I can do to fix this?

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
0x8007005 = Error_Access_Denied

Rough translation: Permissions problem, usually caused by a hijackware
infection or third-party security applications (e.g., your Norton
application). Speaking of which, what's the name & version of your Norton
application (e.g., Norton 360 2009)? Did the preinstalled free trial expire
before you purchased this Norton application?

You might try running the Fix It in this KB article:

How do I restore security settings to the default settings?:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

From: markjones71 on
I'm afraid that didn't work either.

My Norton is internet security... I bought my laptop a couple of years ago
and it had Norton on it (I'd had Norton on my previous machine too). Pretty
sure I just upgraded the version that was there and have just upgraded each
time my subscription needed renewing since. So now I have the 2010 Norton
Internet Security.

Have you any other suggestions?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3