From: Peter Hartlén on
Is it possible to develop Win CE .NET 4.2 applications using VS 2005? I
found some information here
(http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=5747&SiteID=1)
saying it was planned but not supported at the time (April 2005)

/ Peter
From: "Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT on
A version of .NET CF 2.0SP1 that will support .NET CF 2.0 is coming, but
not, I believe, released as of now. Targeting of 4.2 devices with VS 2005,
however, isn't supposed to be part of that. So, while your 2.0 applications
will run on 4.2 and will be supported, you won't be doing any VS2005
debugging of those applications or deployment directly from the IDE there,
as I understand it.

Paul T.

From: Ilya Tumanov [MS] on
Windows CE 4.2 is supported by NETCF V2 SP1 currently available in Beta:
http://blogs.msdn.com/netcfteam/archive/2006/04/21/580901.aspx

However, there will be no dedicated support for CE 4.2 in Visual Studio
2005. That means there will be no special CE 4.2 project type, no automatic
deployment and no official debugger support.

Even though there's no official support, you should be able to use CE 5
project type as long as NETCF V2 is deployed to CE 4.2 device manually.

--
Best regards,

Ilya

*** Want to find answers instantly? Here's how... ***

1. Go to
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework?hl=en
2. Type your question in the text box near "Search this group" button.
3. Hit "Search this group" button.
4. Read answer(s).

From: Peter Hartlén on
Thanks for the quick reply!

You can develop WM2003 apps with CF1 in VS2005, right? But I guess it's
a no-go when it comes to WinCE .NET 4.2 with CF1?

Thanks,

Peter

From: Ilya Tumanov [MS] on
Again, it's not officially supported, but at the same time there are no
artificial barriers to prevent you from doing it:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework/browse_frm/thread/b8e4d60dfee9a6e7/c2175cd9711fc06c?#c2175cd9711fc06c