From: Biff on
I meant this to go under Excel Worksheet Function. My apologizes for the
repeat.

A1 A2 A3
1 3 4
2 5 6
3 6 3
4 7 8
5 3 2
6 2 1
7 3 9

I am trying to find a combination formula that looks at column A2 for a
specific value from another cell (say the cell value is 3 in this case). If
column A2 though contains the value "3" as this examples shows, I want to
look at column A3 just for the rows containing "3" in column A2 and return
the value found in column A1 for the largest value found in A3 for that same
row. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for your help.

From: Luke M on
Try using this array* formula:

=INDEX(A:A,MATCH(MAX(IF(B1:B100=3,C1:C100)),C:C,0))

Note that the ranges inside the IF function can not callout the entire
column

*Array formulas must be confired using Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M