From: bob urz on
While reading through a spec sheet for an outboard preamp, i was
noticing its ability to change the input load the mike sees to "voice"
the mike. It seems this may have some effect on dynamic mikes, but i
fail to see how this would affect much a condenser mike with a pre amp
internal to the mike. I do not seem to see this features on desks.

Anybody played with mike loading outside the studio and have any
comments on it?

bob
From: geoff on
bob urz wrote:
> While reading through a spec sheet for an outboard preamp, i was
> noticing its ability to change the input load the mike sees to "voice"
> the mike. It seems this may have some effect on dynamic mikes, but i
> fail to see how this would affect much a condenser mike with a pre amp
> internal to the mike. I do not seem to see this features on desks.
>
> Anybody played with mike loading outside the studio and have any
> comments on it?

Yes. Load an SM57 with around 700 ohms pins 2-to-3 makes it see it's
designed input impedence on a 'modern' desk with a higher 1K5 or 2K5 input
impedence.

This tames the harsh hf ringing and seems to give the low end more balls.
Like what legend tells us to expect to hear, rather than the thin harsh
sound we actually get these days.

Should have little or no effect on condensor mics, especially if not
transformer-coupled..

geoff

From: geoff on
geoff wrote:
> bob urz wrote:
>> While reading through a spec sheet for an outboard preamp, i was
>> noticing its ability to change the input load the mike sees to
>> "voice" the mike. It seems this may have some effect on dynamic
>> mikes, but i fail to see how this would affect much a condenser mike
>> with a pre amp internal to the mike. I do not seem to see this
>> features on desks. Anybody played with mike loading outside the studio
>> and have any
>> comments on it?
>>

> Yes. Load an SM57 with around 700 ohms pins 2-to-3 makes it see it's
> designed input impedence on a 'modern' desk with a higher 1K5 or 2K5
> input impedence.
>
> This tames the harsh hf ringing and seems to give the low end more
> balls. Like what legend tells us to expect to hear, rather than the
> thin harsh sound we actually get these days.
>
> Should have little or no effect on condensor mics, especially if not
> transformer-coupled..

Oh yeah, SM57 (and some others) designed to work into the vicinity of 500
ohms Z-in.

geoff