From: Gerry Peters on
I just starting using Vsampler, so I can play Giga sounds as a DXI. It
converts Giga just fine, but it crashes Sonar at times. It will always
crash and get the illegal MS error box, if I go to Synth rack view and
open the synth properties page. Yet if I open the synth property page
from the midi track by double clicking the Input widget, most of the
time it won't crash Sonar. I avoid this known crash sequence now, but
it still occassionally crashes by opening the synth property page from
the midi track Input or crashes at other times for various reasons. So
I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and noticed the
instability.

I only have Sonar 8.31 and 8.53 installed on this computer, so I had
to go to my Sonar 3 CD to get Vsampler installed. I went to the
Vsampler website and upgraded to 3.52 to take advantage of the bug
fixes and such. I'm still using the OEM Cakewalk version of 3.52,
since I don't need the full version features.

I remember Glennbo was using Vsampler in the past and wonder if there
were any crashing and instability problems. If not, maybe I just need
to uninstall and reinstall.
--
Gerry Peters
From: Gerry Peters on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 17:35:26 GMT, Glennbo
<vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> wrote:

>In news:p450o5tqqs4evfdogbk4av4e52fl0mlb6j(a)4ax.com the killer robot Gerry
>Peters <GerryPeters(a)nospam.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
>cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> I just starting using Vsampler, so I can play Giga sounds as a DXI. It
>> converts Giga just fine, but it crashes Sonar at times. It will always
>> crash and get the illegal MS error box, if I go to Synth rack view and
>> open the synth properties page. Yet if I open the synth property page
>> from the midi track by double clicking the Input widget, most of the
>> time it won't crash Sonar. I avoid this known crash sequence now, but
>> it still occassionally crashes by opening the synth property page from
>> the midi track Input or crashes at other times for various reasons. So
>> I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and noticed the
>> instability.
>>
>> I only have Sonar 8.31 and 8.53 installed on this computer, so I had
>> to go to my Sonar 3 CD to get Vsampler installed. I went to the
>> Vsampler website and upgraded to 3.52 to take advantage of the bug
>> fixes and such. I'm still using the OEM Cakewalk version of 3.52,
>> since I don't need the full version features.
>>
>> I remember Glennbo was using Vsampler in the past and wonder if there
>> were any crashing and instability problems. If not, maybe I just need
>> to uninstall and reinstall.
>
>I don't recall having any crashes with Vsampler and Sonar. I have the last
>one they offered on their website, and used it with converted Purrrfect
>Drums cymbals in Sonar 5 for a long time. I still use it to load Giga and
>SF3 files in Reaper. When I load it up in Reaper, there are three versions
>I see, and only one works properly. There's a VSTi version, but it only
>does demo mode,

that one isn't listed in plugin manager

> then there's a DXi version, and it will crash upon loading,

that one isn't listed in plugin manager

>and finally there is the DXi2 version, and it's fully functional, doesn't
>crash, and is the one I have in my "favorites" folder of Reaper.

That one is listed but crashes like the Dxi version you have.
It crashes on opening the synth property page before I even load any
big sample set. Did you buy the upgrade to full version that includes
the standalone? It's about $79

I don't see a way to uninstall Vsampler, so I'm may just have to
revert to an older image file and start all over. I think I'll not
bother with the Sonar 3 CD and just install the latest version
download from Vsampler and use the Old Sonar registration.
--
Gerry Peters
From: Here In Oregon on

"Gerry Peters" >> then there's a DXi version, and it will crash upon

Gerry, you might try installing Windows 7.

Sorry, I could not resist.

Good luck!

From: kitekrazy on
On 2/20/2010 11:16 AM, Gerry Peters wrote:
> I just starting using Vsampler, so I can play Giga sounds as a DXI. It
> converts Giga just fine, but it crashes Sonar at times. It will always
> crash and get the illegal MS error box, if I go to Synth rack view and
> open the synth properties page. Yet if I open the synth property page
> from the midi track by double clicking the Input widget, most of the
> time it won't crash Sonar. I avoid this known crash sequence now, but
> it still occassionally crashes by opening the synth property page from
> the midi track Input or crashes at other times for various reasons. So
> I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and noticed the
> instability.
>
> I only have Sonar 8.31 and 8.53 installed on this computer, so I had
> to go to my Sonar 3 CD to get Vsampler installed. I went to the
> Vsampler website and upgraded to 3.52 to take advantage of the bug
> fixes and such. I'm still using the OEM Cakewalk version of 3.52,
> since I don't need the full version features.
>
> I remember Glennbo was using Vsampler in the past and wonder if there
> were any crashing and instability problems. If not, maybe I just need
> to uninstall and reinstall.

Isn't the OEM version also a VST?

I avoid all DXis in W7x64 and use their VST counterparts.

What gig file are you trying to load. I could see if VSampler has the
same behavior on my systems.
From: Gerry Peters on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 14:34:09 -0600, kitekrazy
<kitekrazy(a)kitekrazy.org> wrote:

>On 2/20/2010 11:16 AM, Gerry Peters wrote:
>> I just starting using Vsampler, so I can play Giga sounds as a DXI. It
>> converts Giga just fine, but it crashes Sonar at times. It will always
>> crash and get the illegal MS error box, if I go to Synth rack view and
>> open the synth properties page. Yet if I open the synth property page
>> from the midi track by double clicking the Input widget, most of the
>> time it won't crash Sonar. I avoid this known crash sequence now, but
>> it still occassionally crashes by opening the synth property page from
>> the midi track Input or crashes at other times for various reasons. So
>> I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and noticed the
>> instability.
>>
>> I only have Sonar 8.31 and 8.53 installed on this computer, so I had
>> to go to my Sonar 3 CD to get Vsampler installed. I went to the
>> Vsampler website and upgraded to 3.52 to take advantage of the bug
>> fixes and such. I'm still using the OEM Cakewalk version of 3.52,
>> since I don't need the full version features.
>>
>> I remember Glennbo was using Vsampler in the past and wonder if there
>> were any crashing and instability problems. If not, maybe I just need
>> to uninstall and reinstall.
>
>Isn't the OEM version also a VST?

no, only the full version that's about $79 has the VST. Although I
thought the 30 day demo was supposed to have the VST. On my 2nd
install of it it still doesn't show up only the DXi2

>I avoid all DXis in W7x64 and use their VST counterparts.
>
>What gig file are you trying to load. I could see if VSampler has the
>same behavior on my systems.

actually it crashes when simply trying to open the synth property
page, before you even try to load a sound. I'm using XP 32. If you
don't mind trying it out, I'd appreciate it.

I reverted to an image file from a few weeks back and reinstalled
Vsampler, this time from the latest website download. I'm currently
trying it in the 30 day demo mode. In my first install a week ago, I
first installed it from the Sonar 3 CD, then upgraded it to 3.42 and
put in my Sonar serial # for registration. Both installs have had the
same instability with Sonar 8 and 8.5.

I can't open the synth property page from the synth rack, it always
crashes. Yet I can most of the time open the synth property page from
double clicking on the midi track Input widget.
--
Gerry Peters