From: wperry1 on
My company has just been hit with what seems to be a massive infection
of a new variant of the W32.wecorl.a virus. It has spread and infected
a large number of systems in our HQ office and for our remote users.

Users boot up and log in then they get a notice from McAfee that an
infection was detected and the system shuts down and reboots.

Systems are primarily WinXP with up-to-date patches and running McAfee
VirusScan Enterprise with updated Defs (at least to yesterday)

Is anyone else dealing with this? Any ideas on effective widespread
removal techniques?
From: bluetrevian on
This is a false positive.

Check the McAfee Community site here: http://community.mcafee.com/message/125576

Check the McAfee OFFICIAL response here: http://community.mcafee.com/message/125576
From: bluetrevian on
This is a false positive.

http://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/VirusProfile.aspx?key=265240
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "wperry1" <wperry1(a)gmail.com>

| My company has just been hit with what seems to be a massive infection
| of a new variant of the W32.wecorl.a virus. It has spread and infected
| a large number of systems in our HQ office and for our remote users.

| Users boot up and log in then they get a notice from McAfee that an
| infection was detected and the system shuts down and reboots.

| Systems are primarily WinXP with up-to-date patches and running McAfee
| VirusScan Enterprise with updated Defs (at least to yesterday)

| Is anyone else dealing with this? Any ideas on effective widespread
| removal techniques?

McAfee f**ked this one up !

The 5959 dat files have been released early due to a DAT Issue Emergency with the 5958 DAT
Files.

The reason for this DAT Issue Emergency is a 'W32/Wecorl.a' False Positive in 5958 DAT.

The various 5959 dat file packages can be found at

http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security_updates/dat.asp

http://www.us-cert.gov/current/index.html#mcafee_dat_5958_issues

--
Dave

From: FromTheRafters on
> From: "wperry1" <wperry1(a)gmail.com>
>
> | My company has just been hit with what seems to be a massive
> infection
> | of a new variant of the W32.wecorl.a virus. It has spread and
> infected
> | a large number of systems in our HQ office and for our remote users.
>
> | Users boot up and log in then they get a notice from McAfee that an
> | infection was detected and the system shuts down and reboots.
>
> | Systems are primarily WinXP with up-to-date patches and running
> McAfee
> | VirusScan Enterprise with updated Defs (at least to yesterday)
>
> | Is anyone else dealing with this? Any ideas on effective widespread
> | removal techniques?
>
> McAfee f**ked this one up !
>
> The 5959 dat files have been released early due to a DAT Issue
> Emergency with the 5958 DAT
> Files.
>
> The reason for this DAT Issue Emergency is a 'W32/Wecorl.a' False
> Positive in 5958 DAT.
>
> The various 5959 dat file packages can be found at
>
> http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security_updates/dat.asp
>
> http://www.us-cert.gov/current/index.html#mcafee_dat_5958_issues

Yet another DoS made possible by security software. :o)