From: Martin Wilkinson on
You can Customise the text field Customize Fields/Custom Attributes/Value
List. You can populate this to create a drop-down pick list which contains
your base number plus the textual interpretation. Only the base number gets
put into the field.

Martin

From: John on
In article <5FD15CAC-8A69-4DEE-AEFC-8DFB88FBCA58(a)microsoft.com>,
"Bob Vardell" <BobVardell(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks again, John! I will work on this in the next week. By the way is
> there a method for associating the two digit code in the text field with
> another text field that is a short description of the code definition? i.e.
> 01 would associate with a field that automatically populated with "Branch
> Conduit".

Bob,
You're welcome. If you read the help file on customized fields or even
tried it just to see what it was like, you would have you answer (i.e.
just like Martin explained in his response).

John
Project MVP
From: Bob Vardell on
John & All,

I can get this to work in the project that is open, however how do I change
it for a master project and all users that start new projects?

Thanks,
Bob V.

From: John on
In article <D37280C6-6958-4424-8134-E4E2BF0ABFD0(a)microsoft.com>,
"Bob Vardell" <BobVardell(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> John & All,
>
> I can get this to work in the project that is open, however how do I change
> it for a master project and all users that start new projects?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob V.

Bob,
I almost didn't see your latest post (it was way at the bottom of my
newsgroup message list - I set a limit of 200 messages). If you have
further questions on this subject you might want to repost with a new
message.

I just ran a quick test on my test file which is a consolidated master.
Apparently in a master file a value list (like formulas) is only active
in the file where it is created. Therefore you will need to set up the
value list in each subproject in addition to the master. What I am not
sure about, but it's something you can try, is whether a template file
will preserve a value list. If so, then you can set up a template and
use that for all new project.

Hope this helps.
John
Project MVP