From: Bob Vardell on
I saw that there is an area to dfine WBS codes. My question is this.....

We have a system here that uses 6 digit codes for every task on our
projects. They are related to three sets of two digits. i.e. 010101 may
mean that it is manager's time, building one, and floor 1.

Is the WBS definition area the place to set these so a project can be used
as our labor plan? All these 6 digit codes must be defined for the AS400 to
book the project.

Is there a way that I can make a master project with 3 fields, one ofr each
2 digit set of numbers?

Thanks!
Bob V.
From: John on
In article <26DC8DC3-86BA-40E6-B69E-A07DCDC0D54B(a)microsoft.com>,
"Bob Vardell" <BobVardell(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I saw that there is an area to dfine WBS codes. My question is this.....
>
> We have a system here that uses 6 digit codes for every task on our
> projects. They are related to three sets of two digits. i.e. 010101 may
> mean that it is manager's time, building one, and floor 1.
>
> Is the WBS definition area the place to set these so a project can be used
> as our labor plan? All these 6 digit codes must be defined for the AS400 to
> book the project.
>
> Is there a way that I can make a master project with 3 fields, one ofr each
> 2 digit set of numbers?
>
> Thanks!
> Bob V.

Bob,
The WBS field in Project is a dual purpose type field. Normally it is
automatically populated by Project as tasks are entered based on the
indenture structure. However, the user can overwrite the default codes
with whatever makes sense in their corporate environment. In that
regard, it is certainly one of the fields you could use. However, in
your case you could just as easily use one or more spare text fields.

A master project can be created but I don't see the necessity just for
the purpose of breaking your 6 digit codes into three separate groups. A
typical WBS structure is often encoded with various pieces of
information and your example demonstrated that. Nonetheless, if you need
or want to break the overall code into separate pieces, just define a
spare text field for each piece. That makes it easy to sort, filter or
group the tasks as needed.

Hope this helps.
John
Project MVP
From: Bob Vardell on
John,

Thanks so much. What I really wanted to accomplish is to have the three
fields of two codes each that are a drop down with explanation of each
possible choice in each of the three fields. Is that possible? The intent
here is to try and use this as not only a scheduling tool, but make it easier
for managers to pick the right choices of digits when they set the project
up. If we don't help them use the codes in the right method our AS/400
reporting structure becomes less than accurate for reporting purposes.
Additionally, we are working on a way to have a csv file from project import
right into AS/400 for data entry of the project plan so we do not need
overhead to type it in again.

Thanks!
Bob V.

From: John on
In article <6088439F-9D5E-4A9D-A6AF-CFD9F9C8FF1F(a)microsoft.com>,
"Bob Vardell" <BobVardell(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> Thanks so much. What I really wanted to accomplish is to have the three
> fields of two codes each that are a drop down with explanation of each
> possible choice in each of the three fields. Is that possible? The intent
> here is to try and use this as not only a scheduling tool, but make it easier
> for managers to pick the right choices of digits when they set the project
> up. If we don't help them use the codes in the right method our AS/400
> reporting structure becomes less than accurate for reporting purposes.
> Additionally, we are working on a way to have a csv file from project import
> right into AS/400 for data entry of the project plan so we do not need
> overhead to type it in again.
>
> Thanks!
> Bob V.

Bob,
You're welcome.

Having a drop down with choices is the next step in using spare fields.
Let's assume you are using Text1, Text2 and Text3 to store the three
part of the code. Go to Tools/Customize/Fields and set each text field
up with a Value List. More details on customizing fields is available in
the Help file.

With regard to creating csv files for import into AS/400. I'm not
familiar with AS/400 but as long as it can read csv, it shouldn't be to
difficult to automate the transfer. As it turns out I am working with a
client right now to create two csv data files for import by another
application. The user will have two options. One option is to export the
required Project data to Excel where it can then be viewed, massaged if
necessary, and finally saved as a csv. The second option is to create
the csv file directly from Project. All this is being done with a VBA
macro. However, if the csv format can be set up with a customized view
in Project, (i.e. get the required Project fields in the right
sequence), It is even easier. Then all you will need is to do a Save As
and chose csv as the format. I've never tried that approach so I don't
know if there are any issues to watch out for but it might work for you
if you do not have VBA experience.

Hope this helps.
John
Project MVP
From: Bob Vardell on
Thanks again, John! I will work on this in the next week. By the way is
there a method for associating the two digit code in the text field with
another text field that is a short description of the code definition? i.e.
01 would associate with a field that automatically populated with "Branch
Conduit".