From: mm on
A friend gave me a Western Digital WD800 drive.

It has a strange connector on the end. In place of the normal 40 pin
connector, or 80 wire 40-pin connector, that other drives have, and
that the WD website indicates that it uses.

Instead, it has one or maybe 2 connectors for closely spaced pins S1
to S7 and another with P1 to P15. !!

Do they sell cables or adapter so that I can use this drive?

Why is this conector different from all other connectors?

(It still has the 4-wire power connector and 4 places for jumpers,
SSC, PW2, OPT1, and OPT2.)

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
From: Andy on
It's an SATA drive.

From: Folkert Rienstra on
Rotflol.

From: mm on
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 01:23:27 GMT, Andy <1(a)2.3> wrote:

>It's an SATA drive.

Thanks. It's interesting that I managed to go to the WD800 on the WD
webpage for it that google pointed to , and not see anything about
SATA drives.

But they do have a page that explains the difference.

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/resources/DriveCompatibilityguide.asp

Since I am using win98SE, I can't use this yet. Maybe in a year or so
I'll assemble a win2000 box.

The SATA drive is 3 times the price of EIDE at 80gigs. It must be
good. :)

From: Peter on

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1327&p_created=1109874364