From: Qbert on
I've a Toshiba HDD 40 GB, locked with ATA Password.

I'm not interested in datas. Just would like to remove the password. What
have I to do?

From: Arno Wagner on
Previously Qbert <qbert(a)fastwebnet.it> wrote:
> I've a Toshiba HDD 40 GB, locked with ATA Password.

> I'm not interested in datas. Just would like to remove the
> password. What have I to do?

Not steal, but buy the disk next time?

The password is mostly about theft prevention. Would not
really work, if it was easy to remove, now would it?

Arno
From: Todd H. on
"Qbert" <qbert(a)fastwebnet.it> writes:

> I've a Toshiba HDD 40 GB, locked with ATA Password.
>
> I'm not interested in datas. Just would like to remove the password. What
> have I to do?

There are procedures to do this for some drives, as well as services
that will do it for you. Google on hard disk password. I haven't
used any of these techniques, however, and some services are
reportedly scams.

However, if you don't have data to recover, your time/money is much
better spent on a new 40Gb disk, as the procedures, if they exist
involve doing things like swapping hard drive electronics/boards onto
the hard disk, or unsoldering chips and such invasive things, from
what I have seen out there.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
From: Arno Wagner on
Previously Todd H. <comphelp(a)toddh.net> wrote:
> "Qbert" <qbert(a)fastwebnet.it> writes:

>> I've a Toshiba HDD 40 GB, locked with ATA Password.
>>
>> I'm not interested in datas. Just would like to remove the password. What
>> have I to do?

> There are procedures to do this for some drives, as well as services
> that will do it for you. Google on hard disk password. I haven't
> used any of these techniques, however, and some services are
> reportedly scams.

> However, if you don't have data to recover, your time/money is much
> better spent on a new 40Gb disk, as the procedures, if they exist
> involve doing things like swapping hard drive electronics/boards onto
> the hard disk, or unsoldering chips and such invasive things, from
> what I have seen out there.

As I said, theft prevention. For this to work, a password removal
needs to cost more than a new drive.

Arno
From: Qbert on
Well, some online services offer the unlock for 9 USD.

I think it's good price, but that's not the point. How can they do that?
Brute force? Backdoors?

I would like to figure out the procedure. That's all!