From: Folkert Rienstra on
"craigm" <none(a)domain.invalid> wrote in message news:dkE6h.2$ty3.70726(a)news.sisna.com
> Qbert wrote:
>
> > Well, some online services offer the unlock for 9 USD.
> >
> > I think it's good price, but that's not the point. How can they do that?
> > Brute force? Backdoors?
> >
> > I would like to figure out the procedure. That's all!
> >

> Since you are not looking to keep the data, for some drives it is a matter
> of sending a few commands to the drive to erase the data and the password.

You still need a password to send them.

> You need to look at the specifications for your specific drive to see what
> the commands are.

Nope. They are standardized.

From: bealoid on
"Qbert" <qbert(a)fastwebnet.it> wrote in

>> Care to post a link?
>
> Sure: http://www.hddunlock.com/
>
> Just download a wizard. It runs and check the driver locked. If it
> thinks to be able to unlcock it, the procedure starts... and you have
> to put the code that you had bought... for 9 USD (up to 80GB).
>
> Let me know if you try it! I haven't yet!

[quote] Do you plan to add support for 2.5-inch Seagate, IBM and Hitachi
drives?

Unfortunately, these drives cannot be unlocked by a software since there
are lot of security measures implemented by these manufacturers. These
drives can be unlocked only in a lab by performing some soldering work and
using external devices.
[/quote]

From: Arno Wagner on
Previously bealoid <signup(a)bealoid.co.uk> wrote:
> "Qbert" <qbert(a)fastwebnet.it> wrote in

>>> Care to post a link?
>>
>> Sure: http://www.hddunlock.com/
>>
>> Just download a wizard. It runs and check the driver locked. If it
>> thinks to be able to unlcock it, the procedure starts... and you have
>> to put the code that you had bought... for 9 USD (up to 80GB).
>>
>> Let me know if you try it! I haven't yet!

> [quote] Do you plan to add support for 2.5-inch Seagate, IBM and Hitachi
> drives?

> Unfortunately, these drives cannot be unlocked by a software since there
> are lot of security measures implemented by these manufacturers. These
> drives can be unlocked only in a lab by performing some soldering work and
> using external devices.
> [/quote]

Nice quote!

Arno

From: Fred on
"Arno Wagner" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in message news:4s70sbFubcoeU2(a)mid.individual.net
> Previously bealoid <signup(a)bealoid.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Sure: http://www.hddunlock.com/
> > >
> > > Just download a wizard. It runs and check the driver locked. If it
> > > thinks to be able to unlcock it, the procedure starts... and you have
> > > to put the code that you had bought... for 9 USD (up to 80GB).
> > >
> > > Let me know if you try it! I haven't yet!
>

> > [quote] Do you plan to add support for 2.5-inch Seagate, IBM and Hitachi
> > drives?
>
> > Unfortunately, these drives cannot be unlocked by a software since there
> > are lot of security measures implemented by these manufacturers. These
> > drives can be unlocked only in a lab by performing some soldering work and
> > using external devices.
> > [/quote]

> Nice quote!

Yeah, drew tears to my eyes. You too huh?
Can happen when you have a whole night in front of you and nothing to do.