From: WTC on
"Daniel Mason" <DanielMason(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have the same problem and attempted the first step from the recovery
> console. I copied the existing registry files to the backup, deleted the
> registry files, then discovered there were no registry files in the
> windows/repair directory to copy to the registry location!! Is there any
> way
> to get some from the windows disc that I have. I have an OEM version, but
> built the computer and installed it.. so am not sure why the registry
> files
> are not in the repair section. Any other way I can load registry files
> into
> the registry??

Use a BartPE Bootable CD to repair your system. Follow the directions on how
to create a BartPE Bootable CD from their website.

Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Boot the computer with the BartPE CD.

Navigate to this folder on your Hard drive:

windows\system32\config

Copy the following files to a temp folder, if present:

system
software
sam
security
default

Then delete the above files from "windows\system32\config".

Navigate to the following folder:

System Volume Information\_restore{D86480E3-73EF-47BC-A0EB-A81BE6EE3ED8}

NOTE: _restore{D86480E3-73EF-47BC-A0EB-A81BE6EE3ED8} will have a different
name on your computer.

Now there should be folders with names like RP1, RP2, RP3 and so on. Open
the folder with the highest RP# then open the "Snapshot" folder.

Copy the following files to "windows\system32\config":

_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM

Rename the file in "windows\system32\config""

Rename _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT to DEFAULT
Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY to SECURITY
Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE to SOFTWARE
Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM to SYSTEM
Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM to SAM

Reboot the machine and see if you can use Windows.

--
William Crawford
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User