From: stel_ on
When I turn my laptop on I get the following:
Windows can not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
/WINNT/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM

It says if I have the CD it could fix it. I do have the original windows XP
cd (my operating system is XP home) but my laptops cd-rom is not working!!!
(it has died a long time ago; it can only read DVDs and those only
occasionally!)

Is there a solution? The only place I have access to when i turn on my
computer is SETUP by pressing F2. Can I somehow enter setup and make changes
that will allow to boot my computer by using the windows cd on an external
cdrom??? How can I do that? and what permanently fixes the problem? Please
help!
From: Bruce Chambers on
stel_ wrote:
> When I turn my laptop on I get the following:
> Windows can not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
> /WINNT/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM
>
> It says if I have the CD it could fix it. I do have the original windows XP
> cd (my operating system is XP home) but my laptops cd-rom is not working!!!
> (it has died a long time ago; it can only read DVDs and those only
> occasionally!)
>
> Is there a solution? The only place I have access to when i turn on my
> computer is SETUP by pressing F2. Can I somehow enter setup and make changes
> that will allow to boot my computer by using the windows cd on an external
> cdrom???

If you have a USB CD Drive and if your laptop's BIOS supports booting
from USB devices, yes.

> How can I do that?

Read the manual that came with the laptop, or consult the laptop
manufacturer's support web sites.

> and what permanently fixes the problem?

Replace the defective CD Drive.

After you've fixed the problem with your CD drive:

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

From: Daniel Mason on

--
Daniel Mason

From: Daniel Mason on
I have the same problem and attempted the first step from the recovery
console. I copied the existing registry files to the backup, deleted the
registry files, then discovered there were no registry files in the
windows/repair directory to copy to the registry location!! Is there any way
to get some from the windows disc that I have. I have an OEM version, but I
built the computer and installed it.. so am not sure why the registry files
are not in the repair section. Any other way I can load registry files into
the registry??
--
Daniel Mason

From: Bruce Chambers on
Daniel Mason wrote:
> I have the same problem and attempted the first step from the recovery
> console. I copied the existing registry files to the backup, deleted the
> registry files, then discovered there were no registry files in the
> windows/repair directory to copy to the registry location!! Is there any way
> to get some from the windows disc that I have.

No. The registry is created during the OS installation, and modified
each time you install or remove hardware, install or remove software, or
change any settings whatsoever. There is no generic registry (or
registry template) on the installation CD.

If you cannot find the necessary files to restore your registry, your
next best course of action would be to perform a repair installation.

Of course, if you have any data that's important to you, back it up
to an external disk before starting.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: