From: Edmundo Valle Neto on
Hoggins! escreveu:
> chris barry a ?crit :
>> On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 19:00 +0200, Hoggins! wrote:
>>
>> does the WINS server have a route to this wireless net, or is it
>> responding out the default gateway?
>>
>> have you tcpdumped the interfaces on anything yet?
>>
> All the routes are static, and the two hosts can ping each other
> without problems. The routing works perfectly fine.
> Having tcpdumped a bit what was going on, I could only figure that the
> machines are correctly registering to the server, and the servers
> responds that it's okay.
> The real problem is that it simply does not fill the browse.dat file
> with other entries than itself and the WinXP box that is on the same
> subnet.

Take a look at the chapter of the samba book about cross-subnet
browsing, who maintains the browse list is the domain master browser,
each subnet must have a local master browser to maintain the browse
list for its own network segment and it will sync the list with the
domain master browser of the network. In browse.dat only should appear
machines that have some service to offer to the network.
What is the behavior of your network? Each network only shows its
own machines? i.e. Wireless clients only sees each others and samba only
sees one XP machine? Wireless clients cannot see the samba server at all?

> With a closer look to wins.dat, I can see that all the machines are
> present, and have the correct IP addresses.

Wins not only holds the IP address but the roles that these addresses
have in the network.
Like: "WORKGROUP#1b" ... 1b = Domain Master Browser, and WINS clients
access this information to know where they shoul authenticate, sync
their browse lists, etc.

Theres some options to force syncs and announces to other networks too,
but I never needed to use them, even in that type of situation with
cross-subnets.

> So my personal conclusion is that there is a misconfiguration of samba
> somewhere, that makes it generate a browse list only for it's own
> subnet. I think it's weird.
>
> Thanks for helping

Regards.

Edmundo Valle Neto
Edmundo Valle Neto a ?crit :
> Hoggins! escreveu:
>
> Take a look at the chapter of the samba book about cross-subnet
> browsing, who maintains the browse list is the domain master browser,
> each subnet must have a local master browser to maintain the browse
> list for its own network segment and it will sync the list with the
> domain master browser of the network. In browse.dat only should appear
> machines that have some service to offer to the network.
Almost all the machines of my network offer services (shares), so it's
not the problem.
Since then, the server should maintain a more complete list : the
clients successfully register to it.
I must not have understood the behavior of Samba, because I believed you
just had to have one WINS server to which all the clients register, so
it would maintain a browse list of these clients. I cannot have "slave"
servers on the other subnets, that's why I planned on using one single
master server for all the subnets.
> What is the behavior of your network? Each network only shows its own
> machines? i.e. Wireless clients only sees each others and samba only
> sees one XP machine? Wireless clients cannot see the samba server at all?
I did not check all the behaviors, but according to what I saw, the
wireless clients can see each other (thanks to broadcast), but cannot
see the XP box. I must make more checks, since I don't even know if they
can see the server. I must admit that I was more preoccupied by the
browse.dat list, and my own XP box.

> Wins not only holds the IP address but the roles that these addresses
> have in the network.
> Like: "WORKGROUP#1b" ... 1b = Domain Master Browser, and WINS clients
> access this information to know where they shoul authenticate, sync
> their browse lists, etc.
The WINS file looks fine to me, and all these infos appear, and all the
machines and their services also appear.

> Theres some options to force syncs and announces to other networks too,
> but I never needed to use them, even in that type of situation with
> cross-subnets.
Yes, maybe because you have several local master browsers that sync to
the domain master browser, so these options would be redundant. Anyway,
these syncs won't even work, since they rely on broadcast transmissions.

Thanks for the help, I'm getting desperate, though I thought it was
possible to maintain such a list with only ONE server if the routes and
the server's configuration files were correctly set.

Hoggins!

Hoggins! escreveu:
> Edmundo Valle Neto a ?crit :
>> Hoggins! escreveu:
>>
>> Take a look at the chapter of the samba book about cross-subnet
>> browsing, who maintains the browse list is the domain master browser,
>> each subnet must have a local master browser to maintain the browse
>> list for its own network segment and it will sync the list with the
>> domain master browser of the network. In browse.dat only should
>> appear machines that have some service to offer to the network.
> Almost all the machines of my network offer services (shares), so it's
> not the problem.
> Since then, the server should maintain a more complete list : the
> clients successfully register to it.
> I must not have understood the behavior of Samba, because I believed
> you just had to have one WINS server to which all the clients
> register, so it would maintain a browse list of these clients. I
> cannot have "slave" servers on the other subnets, that's why I planned
> on using one single master server for all the subnets.

Yes, in that case it should maintain a more complete list. And yes you
just must have ONE WINS server.
I think you didnt got the point, domain master, local master, domain
controllers, wins server, etc are just roles of the same server,
enabling some options in smb.conf the same server can be all of them at
the same time.
BUT, other subnets need local master browsers too, they can be any
Windows workstation (normally you should not worry about that), this is
one of the reasons that all of them must use the same single WINS server
(I am not saying that yours are not), the LMB can be any available
workstation (the machines in the subnet should elect one automatically),
so any machine ending up beeing a LMB will use the same WINS server to
find the DMB and sync. It works that way without you needing to care
about it.

>> What is the behavior of your network? Each network only shows its
>> own machines? i.e. Wireless clients only sees each others and samba
>> only sees one XP machine? Wireless clients cannot see the samba
>> server at all?
> I did not check all the behaviors, but according to what I saw, the
> wireless clients can see each other (thanks to broadcast), but cannot
> see the XP box. I must make more checks, since I don't even know if
> they can see the server. I must admit that I was more preoccupied by
> the browse.dat list, and my own XP box.

Ok, if the wireless clients can see each others probably that segment
has an LMB with the browse list of that segment but just isnt passing it
to the samba server.
About the LMBs I just said that to make it clear, that the other
networks dont register themselves directly with samba to be included in
the browse.dat file, who does that is the LMB of that segment (as
explained before).

>> Wins not only holds the IP address but the roles that these addresses
>> have in the network.
>> Like: "WORKGROUP#1b" ... 1b = Domain Master Browser, and WINS clients
>> access this information to know where they shoul authenticate, sync
>> their browse lists, etc.
> The WINS file looks fine to me, and all these infos appear, and all
> the machines and their services also appear.

ok.

>> Theres some options to force syncs and announces to other networks
>> too, but I never needed to use them, even in that type of situation
>> with cross-subnets.
> Yes, maybe because you have several local master browsers that sync to
> the domain master browser, so these options would be redundant.
> Anyway, these syncs won't even work, since they rely on broadcast
> transmissions.

Look at was explained above, and about these options I just cited them
to say that them exists.

> Thanks for the help, I'm getting desperate, though I thought it was
> possible to maintain such a list with only ONE server if the routes
> and the server's configuration files were correctly set.

Yes, it is possible and most of the times the recommended way.

Theres some tools and comands to see problems with name resolution on
the XP clients, like nbtstat or the netbios browsing console.

Putting a log level of 2 in smb.conf, is there any interesting
information about elections in the nmbd log? Whould help if you include
your smb.conf here too.

Regards.

Edmundo Valle Neto

Edmundo Valle Neto a ?crit :
> Hoggins! escreveu:
>
> Yes, in that case it should maintain a more complete list. And yes you
> just must have ONE WINS server.
> I think you didnt got the point, domain master, local master, domain
> controllers, wins server, etc are just roles of the same server,
> enabling some options in smb.conf the same server can be all of them at
> the same time.
> BUT, other subnets need local master browsers too, they can be any
> Windows workstation (normally you should not worry about that), this is
> one of the reasons that all of them must use the same single WINS server
> (I am not saying that yours are not), the LMB can be any available
> workstation (the machines in the subnet should elect one automatically),
> so any machine ending up beeing a LMB will use the same WINS server to
> find the DMB and sync. It works that way without you needing to care
> about it.
>

> Ok, if the wireless clients can see each others probably that segment
> has an LMB with the browse list of that segment but just isnt passing it
> to the samba server.
> About the LMBs I just said that to make it clear, that the other
> networks dont register themselves directly with samba to be included in
> the browse.dat file, who does that is the LMB of that segment (as
> explained before).

Thanks, I understand better now how it works.
So the LMB (any Win machine, elected) of the 192.168.3.0/24 segment must
send its browse list to the server, right ? I must check this traffic
with ethereal and/or with debug level 2. Sorry I didn't yet.

> Yes, it is possible and most of the times the recommended way.
>

> Theres some tools and comands to see problems with name resolution on
> the XP clients, like nbtstat or the netbios browsing console.
>
> Putting a log level of 2 in smb.conf, is there any interesting
> information about elections in the nmbd log? Whould help if you include
> your smb.conf here too.

Yes, I put debug level to 2, and I saw that the server was always
elected as the master. And also that the machines successfully
registered to the server.
My smb.conf (a bit modified since my first post, but the symptoms are
the same though) :

[global]
display charset = ASCII
workgroup = BOUFFARD
netbios aliases = hgsserver
server string = PARTAGES
interfaces = eth0
security = SHARE
map to guest = Bad User
root directory = /
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat debug = Yes
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
unix password sync = Yes
# log level = 2
# syslog = 3
# syslog only = Yes
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
debug timestamp = No
time server = Yes
server signing = auto
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
printcap name = /etc/printcap
os level = 32
lm announce = Yes
preferred master = Yes
domain master = Yes
local master = no
dns proxy = No
wins support = Yes
ldap ssl = no
remote announce = 192.168.3.255/BOUFFARD
remote browse sync = 192.168.3.255 224.0.0.1
usershare path =
winbind enum users = Yes
winbind enum groups = Yes
winbind use default domain = Yes
guest ok = Yes
hosts allow = 192.168.2.0/24, 192.168.3.0/24
cups options = raw

[...] (some shares declarations)

I'll come with more results on benchmarks ASAP. Thanks for your help and
patience.

Regards,

Hoggins!

> Yes, I put debug level to 2, and I saw that the server was always
> elected as the master. And also that the machines successfully
> registered to the server.
> My smb.conf (a bit modified since my first post, but the symptoms are
> the same though) :
>
> [global]
> display charset = ASCII
> workgroup = BOUFFARD
> netbios aliases = hgsserver
> server string = PARTAGES
> interfaces = eth0
> security = SHARE
> map to guest = Bad User
> root directory = /
> pam password change = Yes
> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> passwd chat debug = Yes
> username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
> unix password sync = Yes
> # log level = 2
> # syslog = 3
> # syslog only = Yes
> log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
> max log size = 50
> debug timestamp = No
> time server = Yes
> server signing = auto
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
> printcap name = /etc/printcap
> os level = 32
> lm announce = Yes
> preferred master = Yes
> domain master = Yes
> local master = no
> dns proxy = No
> wins support = Yes
> ldap ssl = no
> remote announce = 192.168.3.255/BOUFFARD
> remote browse sync = 192.168.3.255 224.0.0.1
> usershare path =
> winbind enum users = Yes
> winbind enum groups = Yes
> winbind use default domain = Yes
> guest ok = Yes
> hosts allow = 192.168.2.0/24, 192.168.3.0/24
> cups options = raw
>
> [...] (some shares declarations)
>
> I'll come with more results on benchmarks ASAP. Thanks for your help
> and patience.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hoggins!

Theres some options that I think are not needed in your config, but
probably doesnt cause that problem that you have, in exeption of this one:

local master = no

Try to set it to yes, I never tried to set it to no and let it be only
the DMB to see what happens but the samba docs have something to say
about that, "If you want Samba to be a DMB, then it is recommended that
you also set preferred master to yes, because Samba will not become a
DMB for the whole of your LAN or WAN IF IT IS NOT ALSO A LMB ON ITS OWN
BROADCAST ISOLATED SUBNET". Anyway its at least recommended to samba be
the LMB too.

Regards.

Edmundo Valle Neto